Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2004 Avalanche ABS lists 9 codes

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Avalanche ABS lists 9 codes

ABS Current Codes
C0265 Solenoid Valve Relay Circuit
ABS History Codes
C0241 PCM Indicated Requested Torque Malfunction
C0242 PCM Indicated TCS Malfunction
C0245 Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error
C0246 Right Rear Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
C0251 Left Front Wheel Speed Sen. Ckt. Open or Short
C0252 Active Brake Control Sensors Uncorrelated
C0265 Solenoid Valve Relay Circuit
C0298 Traction Control Malfunction
Codes read by a Innova 3160. (I don't recommend their Repairsolutions service)
I verified the EBCM ground is not the issue by unbolting it from the frame,
bolted it to a 8ga jumper wire and gator clipped the other end to the
negative battery terminal.
The C0265 code will generally trip within 3 minutes after turning the key
to the on position (engine off, and no peddles depressed).
If no codes trip 4 minutes after turning the key on, I can tap once on the bottom
of the ABS Solenoid and the C0265 code will instantly trip.
If you have trouble shot this or a similar set of codes, I would much appreciate some guidance.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a bunch of codes that could be caused by power fluctuations. The thing is, the EBCM is not grounded through the housing if that's what you're trying to check, i.e., the ABS module ground issue with these trucks. The ground circuit refers to the ground wire (BLK wire between the EBCM connector terminal C and chassis ground). You may want to check and clean the EBCM grounding point located on the frame rail underneath the driver door.
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, (BLK wire between the EBCM connector terminal C and chassis ground) the chassis ground side of the the BLK wire is what I unbolted from the frame,
then I bolted it to a 8ga jumper wire and gator clipped the other end of the 8ga wire to the negative battery terminal. I did not attempt to ground the housing.
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, my bad, then. Check the voltage level at the EBCM connector, terminals B and E (both RED wires) and then resistance between terminal C and battery negative and terminal E and battery negative (both BLK wires)? Also, check the voltage level at terminal 11 with key on and try jiggling the key as well?
Old October 10th, 2011, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

My apologies, I do not have anything that allows me to translate where these terminals are located as you identified.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
The EBCM has a 2 position connector, which must be it’s main power feed as one pin is chassis ground and the other battery positive and measures 12.36v across them.<o></o>
<o> </o>
The other connector which appears to be the control signals, is a 16 pin connector with pins labeled A1 thru A8 and B1 thru B8.
Old October 10th, 2011, 5:31 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, so yours doesn't have VSES. Then, check the resistance between terminal A (BLK wire) and battery negative terminal to make sure the ground wire isn't degraded internally. Next, check the voltage level at terminal A1 (BRN wire) with key on and try jiggling the key as well. The voltage level should be steady and very close to the battery voltage. If these check out, I guess it's time to replace the EBCM or send it out for rebuild.
Old October 30th, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

EinST, Sorry for the delayed update. I sent the ECBM to module master. Installed rebuilt ECBM on 10/22/11. All has been well since then. 5 days after I installed the rebuilt ECBM the wife overly stress tested it on the interstate. Wife and truck made it home safe. Thank you for confirming my thoughts on this. Truck is fixed and I got to new tool (Innova 3160).
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

You're quite welcome and thanks for the update. It sounds like everything worked out okay just in time, wife safe and all. Nice call on the 3160, too. Looks to be a pretty capable scanner.