Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2007 AV Dash Removal Procedure?

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2010, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 AV Dash Removal Procedure?

Howdeeee-

I have the MOST annoying tick/ pop/ tapping sound on the passenger side of my dash.

I thought that while my dash is apart (sent cluster off to Mr. Whizard) I would find my noise. Nope.

I cannot find the sound. It is like there is a key fob on a string swinging and hitting plastic in there.

I have found a jiggly connector block, fixed that. I found some antenna cables under the top cover that could have been rattling, and insulated them.

The noise seems to be at about the base of the pillar or behind the passenger vent or coming out of the passenger vent.

It happens when starting from a dead stop ("tack"), turning slightly right (tap,tap,tap), or going up a slight incline (tap, tap, tap).

I found some wires clipped to the positive wire going to the starter that were close to the firewall on the wheel well. I moved them. Still does it.

I am now planning to remove the dash and spray every part of the plastic on the back side with rubberized undercoating and use high vacuum grease on the mounting points to let the dash grow or flex without this tapping creak.

If there is a thread on how to completely remove the dash, I have been unable to find it.

But I did see one on how to take off the pillar/ airbag/ speaker- which might also be the culprit?

My passenger dash airbag is tight, the onStar module is tight, the vent tubes are tight, and all the wires under there that you can reach with the trim and vents removed and the glovebox hanging down are taped down.

I have shaken the H-E- (hockey stix x 2) out of the truck and the doors and cannot duplicate it. I darn near flipped the truck rocking it side to side- nothing.

I might sell it if I cannot find this.

Seperate note: I sanded the steering column off, glued a black tire patch under the ignition switch for the key fob to swing into silently during this process.