Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2007 Avy Park Assist Sensors

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Avy Park Assist Sensors

I purchased one OEM park assist sensor but don't know which one is the bad one to replace. If I disconnect and replace the DIC still displays "Service Park Assist". Any ideas of how to check to find out which sensor is bad or how to reset the system after I attempt to replace them?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 2:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How are things going with this? Were you able to find the bad sensor?

-Jared Duane
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 4th, 2011, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Avalanche back up sensor

just started getting service park assist and took into shop (not delater). Shop is owned by former Chev service manager. He states Chev knows that there is a design flaw in the rear bumper that allows water to get into the outside sensors and causes the outside ones to fail.

Is Chev doing anything about this, if known? I am disappointed as the warranty JUST went out and now I'm looking at approx $180 each to replace. That's just for the part.

Love my Avalanche and will have another but am disappointed in our local dealer and this current problem.
Old May 6th, 2011, 1:04 PM
Official GM Rep

What exactly is the issue that you are experienceing with the vehicle at this time majohn68133? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Avalanche back up sensors

Jeff

I am told the two outside back up sensors have failed. There is no damage to the vehicle, it appears they just quit working.

Would Chevrolet admit to a possible design flaw in the back bumper that causes the sensors to fail by allowing water to infiltrate?

I hesitate to take my car to the local dealer as I don't trust them to be completely honest with me. I believe they attempted to get me to agree to $1200 for the 36,000 mile check up.

Not being familiar with what has to be done for maintenance reasons I walked away and found later that what the dealer wanted to do was not required and I could get the same service from the shop I trust for a couple hundred.

So now I am stuck with a vehicle I love and a dealer I don't entirely trust and failed back up sensors.
Old May 12th, 2011, 4:29 PM
Official GM Rep

majohn68133, you could better aquaint yourself with the services needed at certain mileages through your owners manual. As for whether or not the bumper has a defect would have to be determined by a dealership. You don't have to go to the dealership you bought the vehicle from or the one you do not trust. You should be able to go to any GM dealership in your area to get this service performed. If you have any more issues or any other questions feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 24th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Avalanche and am very meticulous about maintenance. About two weeks ago my Park Assist Service indicator started coming on. The Park Assist feature had stopped working so I brought it in to get repaired. The Chevy dealer informed me that the #3 sensor was burned out and needed replacement. Even though it was in my opinion overly expensive I paid the $430.00 to replace it, $200 for parts $230. for labor. This was a friday and it worked fine. The car sat parked until monday morning when I started it to go to work. My Park Assist light is now back on telling me its not working. So I call the dealer and ask him to fix the problem. He says bring it in and they will take care of it. So I get called the same day at 4:50 pm that day and told the #2 sensor is now burned out. Dealer asks me if I want to go ahead and have it done. I said no leave it alone. I pick up my car and the sensor is working fine. 20 minutes later its not working again. It sounds to me as if these mechanics are screwing up more stuff than they are fixing. I noticed that on the #3 sensor that they replaced it doesnt have the gasket around the lens like the other sensors do. Now im stuck with a non-working system and the only option is to pay these guys to replace the sensor and possibly have to do the same crap 2 more times since the avalanche has 4 of them on the bumper. I suspect that they either installed the #3 sensor and possibly the change of voltage to the curcuit caused the #2 to fail or their rough handling of the system somehow caused it to fail. Either way I find the odds that another one failed a day after they repair the #3 are pretty much against that happening. If they were fine for 5 years and one failed what is the likelyhood of another one failing a day later unless it was something they did that caused its failure?
Keep in mind this same Chevy dealer just tried to rip me off on a door switch within 1 month of this repair. I no longer trust them at all. I have previously brought the same car to them for a window switch that failed. Thats what they diagnosed it as. Once they got it opened they then insisted that it was also the window motor system that had also magically failed at the same time. So they soaked me for $750.00 to fix my drivers door motor and the switch that operates it. I get the car back and my window is now working perfect however now the switch for my seats heating system is sticking and the door panel isnt properly seated. I took it back to the service manager who said he would have it reseated correctly and it would fix the issue. I bring it in to have the work done and im told by the rep that the problem is the switch and I would need to pay for it. I called him on it and said fix it and im not paying a dime since it worked when I brought it in and didnt when I got it back. He had the mechanic reseat the door panel and it fixed the problem. Needless to say I do not trust these guys but unfortunately they are the only chevy dealer near me.

Back to my park sensor issue. Is there a recall for this? There should be because this is ridiculous that it should just happen within a day of them working on it after 5 years of use. Either the ohms within the single line circuit caused the other to fail or they are too sensitive and should be recalled since this part is wearing out or failing without any particular reason that is obvious.

Last edited by anony1964; May 24th, 2012 at 3:54 PM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 7:44 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> anony1964,

I'm sorry to hear of the Park Assist issue with your Avalanche vehicle. Are you receiving the "Park Assist Off" message or the "Service Park Assist" message? Or neither? Are you receiving any other warning lights when this occurs?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default park assist sensor

I have an 07 Avalanche, had the left assist sensor replaced on extended warrenty a couple months ago, now after the warrenty is expired the module under the seat is bad (as determined by mechanic) and the right sensor is bad. Had them replace module $500+, but ordered the sensor on line for $80 bucks going to install myself. Insane to pay 300 for replacing a sensor. This is definately a bad design. Search for the parts online to save money.
Old July 6th, 2012, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

So are there any instructions on replacing a sensor? I also have an '07 Av with a bad sensor.

Quick Reply: 2007 Avy Park Assist Sensors