Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2012 Avalanche P2161 code

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2016, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Avalanche P2161 code

Having a problem with my Avalanche and I am wondering if anyone else out there has had same issues. As I am driving at any speed it seems I will get an intermittent bump,the door locks click,engine light flashes,digital speedo drops to 0 or all dashes for a split second and then it's business as usual.Now the odd time it is finally throwing a code P2161 which translates to vehicle speed sensor.Now I have heard that 2012 trans do not have Vss installed so what is it a wheel speed sensor and if it is intermittent how do you determine which one is actually faulty? Do I actually have to wait until it leaves me stranded? Help
Old February 26th, 2016, 9:29 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotordisc
Having a problem with my Avalanche and I am wondering if anyone else out there has had same issues. As I am driving at any speed it seems I will get an intermittent bump,the door locks click,engine light flashes,digital speedo drops to 0 or all dashes for a split second and then it's business as usual.Now the odd time it is finally throwing a code P2161 which translates to vehicle speed sensor.Now I have heard that 2012 trans do not have Vss installed so what is it a wheel speed sensor and if it is intermittent how do you determine which one is actually faulty? Do I actually have to wait until it leaves me stranded? Help
Hello Rotordisc,

I recognize how frustrating intermittent concerns can be and do apologize for any trouble caused. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this? If you'd like, I can certainly contact them on your behalf and review your situation further. Should this interest you, please send us a direct message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Thank you for your time!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Avalanche 2161 code

Took chev in to dealer ran diagnoses changed vehicle speed sensor still has same problem 348 dollars later and no farther ahead.
Old March 20th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

It has a speed sensor in the transfer case.

You have 2 separate problems imo, has the 2161 dtc reset?
I doubt a p2161 would cause the other symptoms.

sounds to me like there is either a intermittent power drop out or a bad trans range switch...
to find this you must do some flight recording with a scan tool. this way you can review event data before, during and after the fault event. Maybe you will be able to see what signals are falling out. Not an easy task.
Old March 20th, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 avalanche p2161 code

The dealer changed the vss on trans case the code was reset but came back sometimes it throws a code sometimes it doesnt the eng lite just flashes it will happen at any speed at cruise or acceleration intermittantly seldom or not at all below 30 mph
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Update to my vss problem ,tried cleaning all grinds on chase and battery connections just a shot in the dark ,did not help the truck up to this point had started to quit on me and was throwing p601 codes ,so I started with the grinds no effect took it in to dealer had them change ECM and everything works great no more p2161 no p601 back to normal now to deal with pesky traction and stability kick offs which I believe to be steering wheel position sensor and the truck should be like new. I should also mention the shut down got worse with higher outside temps .hope this is helpful to others who struggle with gremlins