Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2017 Avalanche almost

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2017, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Avalanche almost

I'm looking for in depth details about the 2017 near Avalanche which is the 2017 Silverado High Desert. It's similar to the Avalanche but without a mid-gate. Chevy seems to be selling it but it's not really clear if its in production or not. My dealer is willing to price it and take my order, you can spec it out on the chevy site and the Chevy rep says they are in production. But when I speak directly with Chevy they say it;s not in production. Really interested in how the cargo area is laid out because some of the pics online show section dividers in the bed but there are no details at all. In a nutshell, lots of questions, the dealer will take and order...but few answers.
Old March 27th, 2017, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Youthere2,

How far did you get in your endeavor? I just started looking into the High Desert now towards the end of March and feel the same way regarding info. Cant find one dealership that decided to stock one on its own, yet i see the option and marketing material exists on website.
Old July 25th, 2017, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

[SIZE="7"]I've had my high desert since early April. It's a wonderful truck but there are some things you need to know. The cargo area is really an insert and not an integral part of the truck. As such it adds weight to the truck and I think reduces the carry weight based on the door placard. The cargo cover is the same design as the Avalanche but for some reason it isn't as water tight as my Avalanche covers. The dealer is trying to work it out and so far with one panel replacement I still get water in the tail end after a rain. This could be a major issue when freezing weather sets in. The cargo box is also not as tall as the Avalanche so you loose nearly 3 inches in height. The side cargo boxes are nice though...seem a bit longer and easier to access.

The rear seats are the same as in all the crew cab Silverado's...they fold back against the rear wall. This takes some getting used to and reorganizing the gear I keep back there and my dog isn't happy being nearly a half foot lower and not being able to see much out the window. But it does keep her safer. Also miss the Avalanche seats that folded down to give a clear cargo area across the back.

It's not an Avalanche. A close relative and close but the high desert is ..well...more truck. Nice milage and just as comfortable a ride as the Avalanche...a bit longer though so those spots you used to nearly get into or turns you nearly made are just a wee bit more tricky.

Funny...have over 5000 miles on the truck and it's been on the road for nearly 3 months but only recently are people looking at it and asking '"what's that?"

Still has to pass the winter test but so far road handling is great as are all the new safety features. 18-19 mpg local driving and up to 26 highway..