Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Ave cold start problem

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2011, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ave cold start problem

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and this looks like a very helpful and awesome community. I drive an 02 Ave 1500 Z71 with about 140k on it. I'm having starting problems every morning and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. Here's the rundown.

The truck does not want to start in the morning, seems to be worse the colder it is outside. It cranks but will not fire. It acts as if the check valve in the pump is bad. It will usually stumble a couple times before it finally fires up and runs. Once running, everything is good. Here is a list of recent repairs/ maintenance I have done.

I have installed a new fuel pump and regulator, due to a bad check valve and leaky reg. Pressure holds at about 58 when off, 50 when running, measured at the fuel rail. Everything seems fine here.

I replaced the plugs and wires. Number 8 was in bad shape as the electrode was completely burned away on the plug.

I pulled the fuel rail off and cleaned it and the injectors. Checked for injector leakage while under pressure, no problem here. All injectors are functioning when listened to with a scope, however one seems to be ticking away a little faster than the rest. Hooked up the obdII scanner and no misfires.

I recently added a Spectre intake and airaid spacer, but my problem existed before that.

I replaced the knock sensors and therefore the intake manifold gaskets, can't detect any leakage anywhere. Cleaned the manifold and TB while I had everything apart. Since making this repair, my idle rpm is about 300 high and is showing the 0507 code. I think I need to figure out how to do an idle relearn procedure, but it doesn't seem to be related to the starting issue.

I hope I haven't thrown too much at everyone with my first post, but I welcome any advice available. THANK YOU!