Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither am I happy at the present in fact I feel ripped off and it is quite apparent by all the replies from "customer care" that GM is fully aware but does nothing to correct the problem furthermore jeopardizing thousands of lives!! Who will be responsible for this injustice!? Stand up and right the wrong GM! If not you should be held liable criminally and civilly for all the harm done due to ur faulty product!!
QUOTE=Buffaloears;259527]I have a 2012 Impala with almost 70K miles on it. I have had this default code come up 4 times now. Once while driving on the freeway and 3 times at start up. I've had the auto towed in once and limped it back other times. It is currently in the shop again with the same problem (4th time). I do a lot of travelling for business and this thing scares the daylights out of me. Three previous times the dealer has told me thay fixed the problem. They now claim they are in touch with GM and wanted to keep the car over the weekend, which I've let them do. Today is Monday and I've not heard from them yet, which tells me they probably don't have any idea what the problem is. Most of the time they can't seem to duplicate it once I drop it off.......I'm not very happy at present.[/QUOTE]
Old March 24th, 2016, 8:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shayk4
Neither am I happy at the present in fact I feel ripped off and it is quite apparent by all the replies from "customer care" that GM is fully aware but does nothing to correct the problem furthermore jeopardizing thousands of lives!! Who will be responsible for this injustice!? Stand up and right the wrong GM! If not you should be held liable criminally and civilly for all the harm done due to ur faulty product!!
QUOTE=Buffaloears;259527]I have a 2012 Impala with almost 70K miles on it. I have had this default code come up 4 times now. Once while driving on the freeway and 3 times at start up. I've had the auto towed in once and limped it back other times. It is currently in the shop again with the same problem (4th time). I do a lot of travelling for business and this thing scares the daylights out of me. Three previous times the dealer has told me thay fixed the problem. They now claim they are in touch with GM and wanted to keep the car over the weekend, which I've let them do. Today is Monday and I've not heard from them yet, which tells me they probably don't have any idea what the problem is. Most of the time they can't seem to duplicate it once I drop it off.......I'm not very happy at present.
[/QUOTE]

Hello shayk4,

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing concern you're experiencing with your Impala and can understand how frustrating this may be. Would you mind sending us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and the name of the involved dealership? Since it's been some time since this post, please include an update as well. We'd like to look into this further and contact the dealership for clarification.

Kindly,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 25th, 2016, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Im having this issue with an envoy. I had throttle body replace and still doing same thing
Old March 28th, 2016, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 impala

Originally Posted by Buffaloears
I have a 2012 Impala with almost 70K miles on it. I have had this default code come up 4 times now. Once while driving on the freeway and 3 times at start up. I've had the auto towed in once and limped it back other times. It is currently in the shop again with the same problem (4th time). I do a lot of travelling for business and this thing scares the daylights out of me. Three previous times the dealer has told me thay fixed the problem. They now claim they are in touch with GM and wanted to keep the car over the weekend, which I've let them do. Today is Monday and I've not heard from them yet, which tells me they probably don't have any idea what the problem is. Most of the time they can't seem to duplicate it once I drop it off.......I'm not very happy at present.
I had same problem with my 2014 impala. I removed the positive battery cable for a few minutes then replaced it. Cleared the problem and hasn't came back, yet.
Old April 24th, 2016, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
I'm having the exact same problem with my 08 Avalanche LTZ. Service traction control, service stabilitrak, coming on then going away then coming back. All while the check engine light stays on steady. HELP!!!!!
Hi, I'm having the same issue with my Tahoe. Have you found a solution with your issue???
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced Power Mode - Stabilitrak Major Issues

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Trailblazer randomly goes into Reduced Power Mode, Stabilitrak and Engine lights come up and I am forced to pull over quickly (on Highway) as the car drastically loses power.

I took it to a Mechanic and was told that the Throttle Body needed to be replaced (Error Code P2135). Almost $1000 later it was replaced and the issue continues to occur. I have taken it back at least six times and the issue still occurs. They have done everything from replacing the Throttle Body, checking the connections, putting a pigtail on, doing a relearn, etc.

This is the SECOND time I have had to have the Throttle Body replaced (last time was five years ago).

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what the issue might be?

I find it shocking that this is such a common issue and that Chevy has never done anything about it. This is the first GM vehicle I have owned and will probably be the last. I cannot believe how unresponsive GM has been regarding this problem. I also do not understand why GM has designed these vehicles to go into Reduced Power Mode as it is extremely dangerous at Highway Speeds.

Has a Class Action Lawsuit ever been started?
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default I agree that...

I had same problem on the highway... It is dangerous!!!
Old May 13th, 2016, 6:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by greytrailblazer
I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Trailblazer randomly goes into Reduced Power Mode, Stabilitrak and Engine lights come up and I am forced to pull over quickly (on Highway) as the car drastically loses power.

I took it to a Mechanic and was told that the Throttle Body needed to be replaced (Error Code P2135). Almost $1000 later it was replaced and the issue continues to occur. I have taken it back at least six times and the issue still occurs. They have done everything from replacing the Throttle Body, checking the connections, putting a pigtail on, doing a relearn, etc.

This is the SECOND time I have had to have the Throttle Body replaced (last time was five years ago).

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what the issue might be?

I find it shocking that this is such a common issue and that Chevy has never done anything about it. This is the first GM vehicle I have owned and will probably be the last. I cannot believe how unresponsive GM has been regarding this problem. I also do not understand why GM has designed these vehicles to go into Reduced Power Mode as it is extremely dangerous at Highway Speeds.

Has a Class Action Lawsuit ever been started?

welcome to the forum...
When you had the reduced engine power you said you took it to a mechanic, was it a GM dealership? did the mechanic check to make sure it wasn't already under warranty for the TB replacement? some TB's were replaced under warranty, if you took it to someone other than the dealership and paid to have it fixed you can't really hold GM responsible if you didn't give them a chance to look at it...
GM designed the safety feature of reduced engine power so that you have the ability to continue driving the vehicle WITH power as the alternative is NO power. The ability to operate at a reduced setting allowing you to reach a safe destination like a gas station other safe place was a pretty smart idea... it beats the engine quitting all together and leaving you on the side or middle of the road...
In order to get around such features that make vehicles get better gas milage which is mandated by the federal government, not GM, you would need to purchase a vehicle build pre 1990, this will give you the ability to be stranded and no limp mode available.
The argument that it happened at highway speeds doesn't float when the same unpredictable situation of a tire blowing out would produce the same results of unexpectedness and the need to drive at a much slower speed with other traffic around you.
I would suggest taking the vehicle to a dealership and paying the diagnostic fee to find out what they believe the issue to be, then go from there...
Old May 14th, 2016, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

what parts were used? there is a HUGE difference between OEM parts and stuff from random parts houses
Old May 14th, 2016, 7:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I found this on another forum. My 08 av is having the same issue. I plan on getting this service done next week.

Just in case some of you don't know this and are fighting this with the dealer:

Theres a special coverage policy for that.. take this to your dealership. . 11273B: Special Coverage Adjustment - Throttle Position Sensor Replacement - (Dec 16, 2013)

Subject:*11273B — Special Coverage Adjustment – Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Models:*2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer2008-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado2008-2009 GMC Envoy2008-2011 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL2009-2011 GMC Canyon2008-2009 HUMMER H22008-2010 HUMMER H32009-2010 HUMMER H3T2008-2009 Saab 9-7xEquipped with V8 Engine (LFA, LY2, L20, LMG, LC9, LH6, LMF, LH8, LH9, L76, LS2, LY5, LY6, L92, L96, LZ1, L94, L9H)

This bulletin has been revised to include 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x export vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11273A.

ConditionOn some 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x; 2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer; GMC Envoy; HUMMER H2; 2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; 2008-2010 HUMMER H3; 2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado; GMC Canyon; and 2009-2010 HUMMER H3T vehicles, equipped with a V8 engine, the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough and cause the malfunction indicator lamp and/or an Engine Reduced Power message to illuminate. If this occurs, it could result in reduced engine power.Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the throttle position sensor and reprogram the Engine Control Module. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Owners of 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x vehicles delivered in the U.S. or Canada will receive a separate notification and be addressed by Saab Authorized Service Centers. This bulletin applies to those 2008-2009 Saab 9-7x vehicles delivered outside of the U.S. and Canada that are subject to this special coverage.

For 2008-2010 model year vehicles: For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 21, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 21, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2011 model year vehicles: For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after June 28, 2013, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to June 28, 2013, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control