Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2016, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

2007 Chevy Suburban

Besides a very poor experience at my chevy dealership (they could not find my towed car for over half a day, and did not take an active role in working as a team communicating with each other to find it-- the keys and information were on a desk two desks down from the person handling my work order)....I digress...getting back to the topic... engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, and service traction control....dealer replaced throttle body... one week later...error came back ... dropped it off at the dealer right now and waiting on their call...fearful they have no idea and will only charge me more and from this forum sounds like it could be a few things, replaced only by trial and error and more $$$

I saw a previous post that GM had a special warranty on some throttle bodies by vin, anyone know where I can find out more information on if this is true or not???????

Last edited by Robby Pate; May 19th, 2016 at 8:57 AM. Reason: did not but the year and make of GM model
Old May 20th, 2016, 7:24 AM
CF Junior Member

haha I am in the same boat. My 2008 Av had the special coverage throttle position sensor repair done Tuesday...by the time I got home my check engine light was on and wed my truck left me stranded with the reduced power message. It is currently back at the dealer.

I talked to GM customer service who said my dealer should have cleaned the throttle body when they replaced the sensor....they did not. Working on getting the throttle body cleaned and the check engine light diagnosed under goodwill.

Originally Posted by Robby Pate
2007 Chevy Suburban

Besides a very poor experience at my chevy dealership (they could not find my towed car for over half a day, and did not take an active role in working as a team communicating with each other to find it-- the keys and information were on a desk two desks down from the person handling my work order)....I digress...getting back to the topic... engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, and service traction control....dealer replaced throttle body... one week later...error came back ... dropped it off at the dealer right now and waiting on their call...fearful they have no idea and will only charge me more and from this forum sounds like it could be a few things, replaced only by trial and error and more $$$

I saw a previous post that GM had a special warranty on some throttle bodies by vin, anyone know where I can find out more information on if this is true or not???????
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

should've been cleaned, tps replaced and ecm updated under the special coverage
Old May 25th, 2016, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dc2002
Look into your on star. It took the dealer 3 weeks of troubleshooting and countless call to GM engineers to locate the problem. Due the how complexly on star is integrated into GM vehicles, it can and will cause issues that will lead most in the wrong direction. We tried a new throttle body, and it did nothing. We tried a new harness, still nothing. Finally, the engineer told the dealer to remove my on star computer and jumper the system to see if the problem continued. After 2 weeks of driving with no issues I had the dealer install a new computer. That was in August of 2013, and I haven't a single issue since. I highly recommend looking into this. It will save you money in the long run by not changing throttle bodies every couple months
Does anyone know if unplugging the Onstar module would be sufficient to "removing" the computer? I'm having this same issue and wondering if I just unplug the module if it would stop the Onstar from sending bad information to the car or if I need to completely remove the Onstar and/or additional wiring.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 26th, 2016, 7:47 AM
CF Veteran

just unplugging it would cause the same or more issues, the high speed CAN lines would need jumped together at a bare minimum otherwise you'd be taking out part or all of the high speed communication between modules. Depending on the exact code the majority of these I've fixed with a throttle body/tps and ecm update if available.
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Im still having the same issues. The TB was cleaned and I have since replaced the brake sensor and now the gas pedal sensor...I also put two new cats on my truck as I was getting codes p0420 and p0430.....Im wondering if the harness or wiring is bad into TB or if the entire TB needs to be replaced.
Old May 26th, 2016, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gshirdon
We have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 100k miles on it that has been in and out of the shop since Thursday. Three weeks ago we got a code saying "Service 4-Wheel Drive" did that and then the check engine light came on and went off for the next couple of days. Then started it up Thursday morning and it was rumbling and the engine was knocking. Brought it back in and it was throwing 3 codes one of which was "Service the Stabilitrak" and then the engine would power down, Stabilitrak OFF, Traction Control OFF would come on. It was not safe to drive at that point because it would idle when it should go. Brought it back to service technician. They did 100k mile service replaced plugs and wires, oil filter, changed oil and bad 1st cylinder. Problem is still happening. What should we do next?
Call nhtsa at 8883274236 and report so a recall will be initiated. The more complaints they receive, the more likely they will investigate. I'm have same problems. Went to dealership for the third time today and I am sick of it!
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

On 5/26/16 we were driving down the freeway at 65 mph the car started dinging my traction control, stabletrak and check engine lights came on. a message came up saying service stabletrak and said engine power reduced as I tried to get over from the fast lane to the shoulder I had absolutely no throttle. I made it to the shoulder and kept pumping on the gas pedal with no response. after turning the car off and on several times after getting towed off the freeway I was able to get it started and drive maybe half a mile, my check engine light is now on all the time, the car only has between 17k and 18k miles on it and I am now scratching my head, since I've had nothing but problems since day one with this car, i've had with only 200 miles on the car the carrier bearing come apart on my drive shaft and had to limp the car to a local dealer where they had to warranty out the drive shaft and ;put a new on in . after a few months and not very many miles on the car the rear end started making lots of noise and vibrating and it too had to be removed replaced and warrantied out. I also have a 2012 SS camaro and have had to have warranty work done on it as well. My first question is, how do I fix the stabletrak issue so my car can be drivin and is it a recall and warranty thing, my second question is Chevy having problem with their product I don't feel safe even after the car is fixed driving it after losing all power on the freeway and trying to make it to the shoulder of the road to avoid being hit by cars going normal freeway speed. How do I find out which extended warranty I bought? and how do I find out if it's going to cover this or if it's a GM issue and GM will cover it? Right now my car is in my car trailer, I had to drive over an hour and a half each way to bring it home. Look forward to hearing your response, thank you in advance. Sincerely, your very perplexed loyal Chevy Customer.....

Last edited by 2012zl1camaro; May 28th, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old June 4th, 2016, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

'07 Suburban with that cursed AFM system, getting the same error messages.

Just started this morning. Rough idle, CEL, and "Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Traction Control". It's not saying anything about reduced engine power, but it doesn't feel quite as peppy as a 5.3 should.

I guess a trip to the dealership is in order. I'm going to have to rebuild the engine due to the AFM fiasco, so this is just icing on that particularly bitter cake. Especially since one dealership has already been into it to replace all the lifters.

Vehicle has about 188,000ish miles on it. I think. I have to beat the dashboard with my ice scraper to look up the mileage (and the aforementioned messages) since the display for all those is also out of service and will temporarily function once encouraged to do so with percussive maintenance.
Old June 4th, 2016, 7:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thatguywill
'07 Suburban with that cursed AFM system, getting the same error messages.

Just started this morning. Rough idle, CEL, and "Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Traction Control". It's not saying anything about reduced engine power, but it doesn't feel quite as peppy as a 5.3 should.

I guess a trip to the dealership is in order. I'm going to have to rebuild the engine due to the AFM fiasco, so this is just icing on that particularly bitter cake. Especially since one dealership has already been into it to replace all the lifters.

Vehicle has about 188,000ish miles on it. I think. I have to beat the dashboard with my ice scraper to look up the mileage (and the aforementioned messages) since the display for all those is also out of service and will temporarily function once encouraged to do so with percussive maintenance.
Hello thatguywill,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing vehicle concerns and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Our team would be more than happy to act as an extra layer of assistance while you work with your dealership towards a resolution. If you would like to proceed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, and the name of your preferred Chevrolet dealership. Feel free to include any questions that you may have in your response. Our team is always glad to help.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control