Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first time to post a thread.Have same problem with my 2007 avalanche reduced engine power stabilitrak check engine light comes on but goes out after a few days.Once i turn engine off wait a few minutes all is well.this has happened four times all during city driving.Have read some fourms saying it might be the on-star computer.I don't subscribe to it so could that still be the problem?
Old November 27th, 2014, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

I took my vehicle to the dealership after opening a Ticket, and the staff at the dealership was great I have no complaints about that. The throttle body was replaced and needed to be flashed to the computer (throttle body was around (140 to diagnose+ 280 for throttle body+labor around 140 and to flash the computer was another 140) then the tax etc. on the way home the check engine light came back on, however the stabilitrak warning did go off, typically comes back when temp is at or around 20 degrees or less. Had to call about the ticket number and was told needed to take the vehicle back for another diagnosis (that will be an hour labor, usually 125-140 depending on the dealership). I decided to put my scanner on the car to check out what codes are now popping up. (if you don't have one you can have that done at Autozone for free, though they cannot tell you exactly what is wrong it will narrow it down). I either have a Major air intake leak (you can check for this pretty easily) that was not the issue. the code registered a possible bad Cat Converter (clogged possibly, but bad this new is HIGHLY unlikely as they carry pretty good warranty I think 80k miles or 96 months or something). The other option was the downflow sensor to the cat converter. If the throttle body was bad, that sensor would be the next thing in line to get dirty. Had that sensor cleaned and about a day later the check engine light went off. In the event it comes back I will have to replace them, or get another diagnosis. Also, once you start your Ticket, you won't have much time to continue taking your vehicle to a GM shop, or they will close your ticket. If it is your throttle body and you do opt to go to a GM dealership, be prepared to spend about 800 when all is said and done. If you have a vehicle where the Throttle body needs to be flashed to the computer (which I believe it will), you need to take it to a GM shop because that is a software based program only a GM store will have. There are many other things that could be causing the codes on your particular vehicle, everything I have looked at seems to suggest that the throttle body is the most common culprit. Hope this helps, good luck with your vehicle!
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default help please

i have a 2009 impala ltz, when i start it with the remote(it gets cold where i live) it shuts off prematurely sometimes and when i turn it on the warnings come up with service traction control, engine power reduced and service stabilitrak. it only seems to happen when its really cold out. after the car warms up though it tends to go away. it happens often and disappears before i can take it to the dealer. i like this car and i dont want to get rid of it
Old December 12th, 2014, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OnStar?

Originally Posted by Dc2002
I had this problem a few times. First the dealer "fixed" some connectors. Then they replaced the throttle body. Finally they found out that the on-star computer was causing the issue. It's been 2 months now and I've had no issues. That is where I would look if you are still having a problem
I am going in to get my truck fixed for the same issues. The rep on the phone said all those mentioned reasons could be the cause, but yet...you guys are saying, that after those things were fixed. YOU STILL HAD issues. That's scary. How did Onstar fix things. I will be sure to mention that, when I go in tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Shelly Ingram (December 6th, 2021)
Old December 15th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

I had this same situation Saturday afternoon on my 2010 Silverado. Same 3 messages Service Stabilitrack, Service Traction control and Engine Power Low. I had onstar run a diag. on it. Had it towed to my dealership and they looked at this morning, and just called to confirm it was the same bulletin and it was being repaired at no cost to me. I have 77K miles on my vehicle so this is great news. I'm going to pick it up this evening.
Old December 15th, 2014, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

drgonzo Welcome to the forum...
What was the diagnosis of the problem?
Old December 15th, 2014, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
drgonzo Welcome to the forum...
What was the diagnosis of the problem?
Thanks for the welcome.

Long story short the Throttle body repair and ECM reprogramming/resetting the throttle. All covered due to this special action. The dealership told me they would have covered this up until 120K miles or till 2022. Whichever came first. I'm glad it happened now. Took my "savings" (: and had the truck detailed.

If not for this problem I wouldn't have ended up on this forum. And to be honest this thread calmed my nerves as I just replaced my 2007 impala with a 2015 Acadia. I wasn't looking forward to anything expensive.

Thank you!
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service stabilitrak error

2012 Impala LTZ. While driving home from work I received an error message "Service stabilitrak". I thought to myself Wtf is stabilitrak? I was still able to drive but it became harder to accelerate. On the highway it was fine but as soon as I reached the city the car started to jerk anytime in 1-2 gear. I was able to make it home and cut engine off hoping it would reset itself. Car has about 47000 miles. Car had no problem starting but there is a rumble coming from underneath the hood which is my main concern. Previously anytime I reverse and shift into drive, I heard a squish noise under hood and traction light appeared but didn't stay.
Old January 5th, 2015, 7:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieinnout
2012 Impala LTZ. While driving home from work I received an error message "Service stabilitrak". I thought to myself Wtf is stabilitrak? I was still able to drive but it became harder to accelerate. On the highway it was fine but as soon as I reached the city the car started to jerk anytime in 1-2 gear. I was able to make it home and cut engine off hoping it would reset itself. Car has about 47000 miles. Car had no problem starting but there is a rumble coming from underneath the hood which is my main concern. Previously anytime I reverse and shift into drive, I heard a squish noise under hood and traction light appeared but didn't stay.
We are so sorry that you experienced this concern while driving. I'm glad that you were able to safely make it home. We'd be glad to look into this for you and possibly contact your dealership on your behalf. Please send me a private message with your VIN and contact information, if assistance is needed!

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Just a thought that maybe the answer to help you...

Originally Posted by 10acfan1
I'm having the same issue with my 2010 Silverado Z71 5.3 with 80,000 miles. I cannot believe this is not a recall!! Has ANYONE found a true cause and resolution to this issue? This has been going on for way too long now! Come on Chevy!!! I'm trying to avoid endless trips to the dealership service department and wasted money on unneeded service as they chase their tails with no resolution. Any help here would be appreciated.

I'm not sure this will help you but I'm putting a theory to test... multiple vehicles are having the same issue that you are. I had it with a 2011 Cruze that seems to be fixed. First, I just want to say that I am a Chevy Truck guy but my trucks are older ('01 & 03) and don't have the new high speed network to the main computer like the newer vehicles do and I still love them.

That being said, it seems that placing a little dielectric grease (about $6 or $7) on the connectors of both of the main ECM harnesses might fix this and possibly other fantom issues. The new high speed network newer vehicles user require a good connection at the ECM to communicate well with the rest of the car. Chevy seems to be having issues either keeping moisture out of the ECM harnesses or maintaining a reliable connection to the ECM. My '11 Chevy Cruze was doing the same thing with Stabilitrak and traction control. I've seen this affect even how the transmission shifts and throw "check engine" codes for various other issues like EGR valves and mass airflow sensors and then they disappear like it never happened. When the dealer runs their check, sometimes in the vehicle's history it doesn't show those codes.

This solution should help maintain a good connection to your vehicle's ECM computer while keeping moisture out and hopefully resolve your issue. If this does fix your issue, would you post back that it helped?

I would like to think this fast, basic, low cost fix could help a lot of people and your feedback would help me confirm that. Thanks!

Last edited by benf2010; January 5th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control