Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

K&N air fliter

Old October 19th, 2013, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N air fliter

Greetings all.. I'm new here.. I hope I'm doing this correctly!

I have a 2013 Avalanche. I'm wondering about K&N air fliter and breather tube replacement. Will changing from the stock filter setup void my factory warranty? I understand I can pick up a few miles more per gallon of fuel by switching to K&N but since the truck is new I'm wondering about factory coverages... (?)

Thanks in advance for any 4-1-1..

Dan
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it'll void warranty with one on, but from what i've seen they have to order it and install it iirc. They have the gmpp air intake kit. But honestly its the tube that's restrictive, not the box. The filter has little to do with it. I've always recommended the airaid MIT kit. Comes with a filter and a new tube but i'm not sure if they've come out with em for 13s yet.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filters are restrictive. That's how you all of a sudden get more horsepower out of your vehicle by a simple k&n filter drop in. It flows more air which in turn the mass airflow sensor sees.

But to get back to your question. It really depends on the dealer. Some will say warranty is voided due to filter because of the red oil dye getting on to the MAF sensor. My advice would be to change out the k&n filter before going in for warranty repairs. Or just leave the factory one in it.
Old November 11th, 2013, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, the filter is restrictive, but if you look at the tube there's huge baffles in there to kill noise, which also reduces the air flow way more than a filter will do. I do agree the filter is restrictive, but not at all like the tube.