Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

oil pressure sensor location for '07 avalanche

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question oil pressure sensor location for '07 avalanche

Hey Guys, Think I have a bad oil pressure sensor-throwing code P0521. Need help in locating it in the engine. Anybody know where this sensor is in the engine? Got a new one to install -can't find the darn thing! Thanks! Indyrob
Old March 3rd, 2010, 7:59 PM
CF Veteran

The sensor is located in the top back of the intake manifold. Apparently you need a special tool to change it.
I found this after a decent google search, hope it helps.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 8:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's like most 5.3L then it'll be on top of the valley cover/engine block, toward the back of the engine. If you cannot get to it easily then you will have to take the intake manifold off. If there turns out to be some leakage of oil then it is highly recommended to do some type of sealing procedure since the newer truck engines are known to have this problem. I don't remember if you do need a special tool, but it would be wise to look it up.

Last edited by cam3439; August 2nd, 2010 at 3:41 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cam3439
if it's like most 5.3l then it'll be on top of the valley cover toward the back of the engine. If you cannot get to it easily then you will have to take the intake manifold off. If there turns out to be some leakage of oil then it is highly recommended to do some type of sealing procedure since the newer truck engines are known to have this problem. I don't remember if you do need a special too, but it would be wise to look it up.
thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to replace it saturday. The dealer said they would do it for $150 but i can't see how if that manifold is coming out. Might just do it myself. Thanks again. Indyrob
Old March 4th, 2010, 2:49 PM
CF Active Member

You might be able to get to it without taking the manifold off, but if it's too hard then you'll have to take the manifold off. This might be why you would need a special tool (in order to make this procedure easier). Can't really say, other than me seeing the sensor on the rear of the valley cover or engine block (top) on some 5.3L's. I didn't really pay attention to whether or not the sensor was under the intake manifold or right past it. Hopefully it's right past it. Good luck.
Old August 5th, 2010, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

Pardon me but what special tool is this? Where can it be bought and for how much? I am gonna be needing it soon because the oil pressure switch on my chevy needs replacement. Thanks!

Last edited by mikeross; August 9th, 2010 at 9:07 PM.
Old December 20th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

hello, i have tahoe with 5.3 in it. the oil pressure switch is behind the intake minifold on top of block. its not fun getting to. hard to unplug the wire. the retaining clip is tough. 1 1\16 deep thin wall socket., a swivel socket and couple of extensions and you should get it. the service book says to take the manifold off (its a book). you can get to it. this r and r should fix the high and low readings of your gauge. i did even have a message center reading of low oil pressure and thats because of the gauge. never mind the stepper motors others talk about. the cheapest and quickest will be this fix. good luck

Last edited by tahoefamily; December 20th, 2011 at 8:42 PM.