Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

91 Lumina Euro 3.1 V6.....quits when driving and garage has given up on it.....need help!!

Old July 15th, 2006, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Lumina Euro 3.1 V6.....quits when driving and garage has given up on it.....need help!!

My Lumina, every once in awhile will quit when driving. It won't start up again at least for an hour, but it will restart. The car has been in the garage all week because they can't figure out what is wrong since it never quits on them. I had a new fuel pump put in a couple of months ago when I had a starting problem and they even replaced it again thiking maybe it was defective. Well the new one works as they forgot to tighten something and I drove away with gas pumping out all over the place. Needless to say they fixed whatever they had neglected to tighten. After putting the new pump in, same thing, it died and I had to be towed AGAIN. Of course by the time the tow truck arrives the car starts fine. The garage could not get it to quit and told me until it does quit for them they can't determine the problem. They said they did all the diagnostic whatever and couldn't come up with anything. I'm a lot fed up with this and their attitude, now that they have basically said they can't help me. He now tells me to take it to a GM dealer as they have their own specialized equipment to test GM products. I've read it could be a number of things. A friend gave me a new ignition module which apparently it could be and I want to put it in and try it. Problem being I don't know how to do that. Any helpful suggestions how to do it myself would be appreciated.....thanks...

Nancy in Canada
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

check the catalatic converter, fuel regulator, injectors, and fuel rail and filter. How many miles do u have on it?
Old April 29th, 2010, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Original post is almost 4 years old.
Old October 13th, 2010, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

I know this post is old, but I had the same exact problem with a 90 S10 Blazer we used to own. After changing I don't know how many things, it DID end up being the ignition module.