Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Reading ABS codes from a '92 Corsica

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2016, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading ABS codes from a '92 Corsica

I'm getting various combinations of ABS and BRAKE lights on my '92 Corsica, and would like to know if there is a relatively inexpensive way to pull all the ABS codes, or at least the last ABS code. I do have a CP 9001 code scanner, but apparently it doesn't do ABS with my car.

I did some search and there are the Vetronix Tech 1 and Tech 1A scanners used by GM dealerships service departments, but they are kinda expensive and rare (a single, incomplete set is $360 ATM on eBay), and trying to search for OBD1 scanners in general don't give give me good hits -- I either get OBD 2 scanners, or cheap ones similar to what I already have.

The symptoms are as follow:
1. sometimes the ABS light turns on during longer trips for no apparent reason
2. sometimes the ABS light doesn't turn off after starting the engine, and the BRAKE light will also be lit (5% - 20% of time)
3. blinking ABS light (happened only once)
4. steady ABS light from the beginning - happened only once right after I removed my front ABS sensors and checked their DC resistance

Once I stop the engine and restart it, usually there is no BRAKE or ABS light aside from the initial 3 seconds of ABS. The only known exception I can remember is that the steady ABS only light was followed by BRAKE and ABS.

In any case, is there any way I can get the ABS codes without going to a GM service department or buying a Tech1 scanner?

TIA

Last edited by Azaghal; September 18th, 2016 at 7:02 PM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i was wondering if you could find a procedure to produce flash codes for the abs system like is done with the powertrain for obd1 systems.