Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Rear brakes lock up

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2013, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes lock up

The rear brakes on my '92 Corsica have locked up twice in two days. Both times the car has sat for 10-12 hours (while I'm at work). When I go to leave the rear brakes lock up and skid on the gravel parking lot. Then, once I'm on the street the brakes are ok. Every time I brake after that, everything is ok. My question is: what can I do to fix it so in case we get more snow (heaven forbid), I'm not sliding to a stop?
Old March 28th, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue92
The rear brakes on my '92 Corsica have locked up twice in two days. Both times the car has sat for 10-12 hours (while I'm at work). When I go to leave the rear brakes lock up and skid on the gravel parking lot. Then, once I'm on the street the brakes are ok. Every time I brake after that, everything is ok. My question is: what can I do to fix it so in case we get more snow (heaven forbid), I'm not sliding to a stop?
Move? The snow is packing up, then feezing in the brakes, is the back plate intack?
Old March 28th, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry, I didn't give enough info. Most of the snow has melted here. It's been in the 40s most of the week.

Anyway,
The left rear wheel cylinder was recently replaced due to it leaking. The mechanic said that should take care of the "grabing". I hadn't had any problems with it at that point, so I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about.
I've driven the car to work all this week. It grabs slightly when I back out of the driveway in the morning (rear of car sinks down), and then it's fine. Then when I leave work in the evening, it grabs, causing it to skid on the gravel parking lot (rearend sinking again). Once I'm out on the street, it's fine again.

The mechanic did say that the brake shoes on the left side were soaked in brake fluid. He cleaned them up the best he could and put it back together. Could the shoes still be fouled and lock up after sitting awhile?
Old March 28th, 2013, 8:36 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Blue92
Sorry, I didn't give enough info. Most of the snow has melted here. It's been in the 40s most of the week.

The mechanic did say that the brake shoes on the left side were soaked in brake fluid. He cleaned them up the best he could and put it back together. Could the shoes still be fouled and lock up after sitting awhile?
These should be replaced.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Ok. Can the shoes be replaced without bleeding the brakes?
Old March 29th, 2013, 8:15 AM
CF Monarch

Yes, you need to find the cause of the leak, and fix it. That will require bleeding them