Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

replace lifters or junk car 95 lumina

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace lifters or junk car 95 lumina

Water leaked into engine I am assuming through the intake manifold gasket while my kid was driving car. It was rattling when they got home. I drained oil and there was water in the oil and yellowish foam on bottom of oil cap. I replaced the oil and filter and then I had a family emergency out of town. While gone my father the shade tree mechanic filled the radiator up and put some sort of stop leak in it.
Heres whats happening now: Sometimes there is one ticking sound when car starts. It misses while ticking but the ticking will go away. Sometimes you start car and it sounds like there are alot of lifter clicking, sometimes it goes away, when it doesn't stop within a minute or so I shut it off and let it set and it may start next time with only the ticking sound. I have drove it with when it was making alot of noise and it will eventually stop after a mile or so. It still has a slight water leak. Can I replace the lifters and solve my problem or is there more damage. Money is tight now.
The corner mechanic says the oil pressure could be low because water went thru the bearing and all the bearings will need to be replaced. He said an oil pressure check would be needed to determine this. He said doing the lifters only may be a waste of money and time. What would be consider low oil pressure on a 150,000 mile engine hot and cold.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Swedge61