Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Wet Carpet!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Carpet!!!!

The carpet in my '92 Corsica is soaked. It's only on the right front floor where your feet are. Under the dash its dry except for a small area under the part of the heater duct that blows onto your feet. I've shined a light up under the dash after I've driven it and there's nothing dripping and no sign of leakage. The heater ducts are bone dry.

I really hope it isn't the heater core going bad. I already have $700 invested in parts/labor from brake work. This cheap, low mileage car is turning out to be anything but cheap.
Old April 19th, 2013, 8:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Are you using the heater, if so, is it always wet? Pretty much sounds like the core.
Old April 19th, 2013, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, I'm running the heater most days. What gets me is that the majority of the water is right infront of the seat. If it was the heater core, wouldn't it be more under the dash?
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM
CF Monarch

Is it water or anti-freeze? Are you using anti-freeze in the cooling system?
Old April 19th, 2013, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I use antifreeze in my car.

No, it is water on the floor. I just went out earlier to check on it after the big rain we had the last 2 days. There was a puddle of water standing on the floor of the front pass. area. It was probably 1.5 inches deep. I've soaked up all the excess, but the carpet is still damp. I was told it might be the windshild or door weatherstripping leaking. Has anyone heard if this is common for Corsicas/Berettas? How do I get it to stop?
Old April 19th, 2013, 6:48 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Blue92
Yes, I use antifreeze in my car.

No, it is water on the floor. I just went out earlier to check on it after the big rain we had the last 2 days. There was a puddle of water standing on the floor of the front pass. area. It was probably 1.5 inches deep. I've soaked up all the excess, but the carpet is still damp. I was told it might be the windshild or door weatherstripping leaking. Has anyone heard if this is common for Corsicas/Berettas? How do I get it to stop?
Ok, rainwater. Have someone with a garden hose with you inside, spray that side down to find what is leaking.
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
CF Active Member

Under the cowl plastic under the wiper arms.
The mastic gets old and the water starts to find its way into the passenger compartment.

This is bad because the water gets trapped, and it sits and starts to make the floor pan rust.

Also, the fire wall in the engine compartement, with time, the seems and mastic in there can also start to rust and break down along the edges, you need to start looking in there and finding where the leak is coming through.

YOur best bet is to go to home depot like me and use grade 3 clear silicone to seal the areas after cleaning away the old mastic and rust, and AFTER painting the shiny metal after cleaning.

Then if you like, paint over it again.

Places like summit sell special rust eater paint if you can't get all the rust out that easily, also they sell paint like silver bullet or rustoleum that is basically the hardest and strongest paint there is.

Put it where you will not see it, do not get it on the car body as it will not come off, the silicone too.

But you can use it on the floor pan, under the dash, on the firewall, in the vent cowel, etc.

That is typically where the water comes in, also your best bet is to seal it up from both sides with good silicone after cleaning and painting really good. You can paint over the silicone if you like, that is what I did.

Mine was a bit worse, I had to clean, cut a piece and place metal in to seal a small hole.

It has been holding on mine for over 5 years just fine after I did this job.

Hope this helps!