Bolt EV New Chevrolet Bolt forum to discuss GM's budget Bolt EV with 200+ mile electric range!
Chevrolet Bolt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Price Starts at $37,495...or Does It?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2016, 3:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Price Starts at $37,495...or Does It?

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Price Starts at $37,495...or Does It?

What can $37,495 get you? We're going to say the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, but that may not be exactly true...

Read the rest on the ChevroletForum.com homepage. >>
Old September 29th, 2016, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Like the concept; hate the math

Here's my $.02 of opinion - based upon the assumptions that gasoline ave. $2.50 a gallon, electricity is free; the proprietary charger and any costs associated for a dedicated 240v line for the home are free; time used for the inconvenience of gassing up at the filling station equals that of trying to locate or playing with the charger at home, and that the purchaser earns enough income that their Federal income taxes for the purchase year exceeds $7,500. If any of these assumptions is incorrect, the net price of ownership will adjust accordingly.

Because - Net cost of my Malibu LT2 2.0T was $23,500 which is $6,500 less than the promo cost of the Bolt EV which buys me 3000 gals. of gas. At the actual 28 mpg obtained that gives me a range of 84,000 miles of driving. Net cost of my son's Malibu LT 1.5T was $21,000 which is $9,000 less than the promo cost of the Bolt EV which buys 3600 gals. of gas. At the actual 34 mpg obtained would give a range of 122,400 miles of driving. I don't put anywhere near that mileage on my vehicles before they are traded.

Of course intangibles are immeasurable and some may prefer a Bolt EV for worth of ownership above costs of other vehicles such as the new Malibu or the Malibu Hybrid. Now, should Chevy offer a Bolt EV for $20,000 out the door with charger included and credit for home modifications necessary to adapt the charger - they can count upon me as a Bolt EV customer!
Old December 4th, 2016, 2:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they can't. the battery cost alone is probably 35000. they are already losing money selling it at $37000. Its only made for tax savings; so the automaker can pump out more gas guzzling suv's which they do make money on.

these cars are not for the general public. They are aimed at environmental conscious folks who are ok with new technology. At this point, it will not be cost effective to buy one. when the battery warranty is over, its unsellable.
Old December 4th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
they can't. the battery cost alone is probably 35000. they are already losing money selling it at $37000. Its only made for tax savings; so the automaker can pump out more gas guzzling suv's which they do make money on.

these cars are not for the general public. They are aimed at environmental conscious folks who are ok with new technology. At this point, it will not be cost effective to buy one. when the battery warranty is over, its unsellable.
Another .02. But, unless GM is also supplying a wind powered generator or about $20K of solar cells with a certificate guaranteeing 80% sunny days/yr. and a liquid sodium storage battery the size of a water heater those environmentally conscious folks aren't doing anything to save the environment. All it will do is shift the emissions to a coal or oil fired power plant and since no transformation of energy is 100% efficient, it will take more energy to charge the battery than can be drawn from it.

- Less than 2 months and they'll be a new sheriff in town. -

If anyone at GM corporate has any foresight they'll scrap introduction of the Bolt EV until they observe the results of upcoming Government policies regarding EPA deregulation, and expansion of clean coal, shale oil, off shore drilling, transAmerica pipeline, and other efforts for US energy independence. Just cashed in my GM stock and bought a '17 Impala rather than wait for the results. The writing's on the wall that very soon these tax credits for alternate energy will disappear and then we'll see if environmentally conscious folks are still willing to fork over the full $37K without the benefit of a taxpayer subsidy.