Bolt EV New Chevrolet Bolt forum to discuss GM's budget Bolt EV with 200+ mile electric range!
Chevrolet Bolt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Chevy Bolt Crashed On Its Own, Says Owner

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2017, 12:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Bolt Crashed On Its Own, Says Owner

Chevy Bolt Crashed On Its Own, Says Owner

Chevy Bolt owner claims empty car reversed by itself, damaging brand-new vehicle and garage.

Read the rest on the ChevroletForum.com homepage. >>
Old January 20th, 2017, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if it was a gasser i'd say no way...with a ev what applies the parking pawl...an electric motor??
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if it was a gasser i'd say no way...with a ev what applies the parking pawl...an electric motor??
Always but always use the parking brake whether an EV or conventional vehicle use the parking brake. Never depend on the park position on drive selector or the gear in manual transmission. Have seen these fail numerous time and the only back up is the parking brake.

Good luck.
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:14 AM
CF Active Member

Whole thing sounds fishy , but who knows ?

Assuming the garage is reasonably level , parking pawl is immaterial .

Even in the EV equivalent of neutral , the car would not roll with enough velocity / speed to cause the damage as described .

I am guessing a glitch / error in the software / firmware could cause the car to back up , of its own volition ?

Good thing it did not go forward , through the garage door & into the street .

I guess an EMP from a close flying UFO might cause this ( Close Encounter ) .

God bless
Wyr
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry, I call BS on this.

"One pedal driving" = No brake pedal for normal driving.

Joy stick shifter = confusing to a new driver.

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Wonder if hubby actually checked the mileage before he left or asked the neighbors if anyone saw the wife driving the car before she tried to back it into the garage again?

Maybe the car was taken out, maybe there was an attempt to take the car out, either way it did not end well.

I think the wife probably knows what happened.

Good luck.

Last edited by jfoj; January 25th, 2017 at 7:40 PM. Reason: Added some comments and link.
Old January 25th, 2017, 1:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ev i have seen have 2 drive motors. 1 of these drive motors drives the car in reverse and applies...the parking pawl. the car have moved rearward into the garage.

immaterial or coincidence??
Old January 26th, 2017, 3:37 AM
CF Active Member

Do not know about the bolt . The Nissan Leaf we used to have ( got rear ended ) had 1 motor . I think it was 3 phase AC . Reverse was accomplished by causing the motor to turn the opposite direction .

God bless
Wyr
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

I wrecked my first car when I was five years old. Some fool left a Mustang convertible in my parent's driveway with the top down. How was I supposed to resist that?

My older brother and I used to sit in my uncle's cars when he visited. (He always had a cool 60s sports car.) Anyway, my brother would depress the clutch, cover the brake, and move the shifter while making engine noises. Needless to say, I didn't have my foot on the break, the parking brake may not have been set, and the car was parked on a slop; so when I played with the automatic shifter, there was nothing holding the car.
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

I guess it's too late to set the TeenDriver feature to one of the key fobs.
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

DISCLAIMER: I am not yet a Bolt owner.

On page 207 of the Bolt Owner's Manual, it gives four steps to shift into reverse.

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Press the shift lock release button on the side of the shift lever.
3. From the center position, move the shift lever forward, and then to the left R is illuminated in red.
4. After releasing the shift lever, it will return to the center position.

So, ... it sound like the Bolt could be in reverse (red R) while the shift lever has sprung back into the center position.

With the car being quiet, and no parking brake set, bumping the peddle or sliding the mat could tap the pedal and move the car.

It also says that if the car is in neutral for an extended period of time, it will automatically shift into park, but that sounds like it only applies when the vehicle has been shifted into neutral, and does not just appear to be in neutral because of the spring loaded shifter position.

The plot thickens!