Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

81 camaro steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 camaro steering wheel removal

i actually have been really needing to move my sisters 81 camaro without out its keys she left town with them and it was recently vanadalized by some unfriendly people for unknown reasons to me. they broke all the windows and t-tops out, and the city wants to impound it where it is parked (and broken down) im just trying to tow it home. it has a 4-speed, so i can just ride in it and hold the clutch, but i need to disable the steering lock to steer. how is the steering wheel removed after you take the first screws and big nut off there are just these holes and one of them had a spring in it? im not stealing this car though really im in contact with my sister and am just trying to help
Old April 27th, 2013, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you have the big nut off remove the stainless steel spring plate for the horn and give the threaded portion a whack with a hammer and piece of brass or wood and it should come free. Of course this is not going to get you into the ignition switch. You will see another plate held in with a c clip which is under quite a bit of spring pressure, you will probably need 2 people for this., 1 to push in on the plate with blocks or screwdrivers and 1 to try and remove the clip. Once you get all of that removed if I remember correctly there is a pin hole on the ignition switch, you need to put something in there to release the switch