Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

94 z28 dies, cools off, starts, dies again

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 z28 dies, cools off, starts, dies again

Well I have a small problem that has turned into a everyday problem. I got the car about six months ago. When I first got it it ran great. But every once in a while I would be sitting at a stop light or bank drive thru and it would just shut off like I turned the key off. Would start back up every time on the first try. It did this about 3 to 5 times in a couple weeks and then didn't do it for months. Until now this time when it died I had just pulled into a parking lot slowing down for speed bump and it dies. So I figured it would just start back up.. Wrong. Had to crank for awhile before it started again. I then replaced the throttle position sensor Bcuz it seemed to be dying only close to idle. Well replaced it took it on a drive for about 15 min died again. And again was tough to start. Next I changed the coil and ignition control module. This time I thought it was fixed. Drove it for a couple short trips to gas station nothin much. Next morning drove to Kmart and when I left it died as I was pulling away from a stop light . Started back up then died about a mile later. Started up then died about 1/2 mile later. This time it wouldn't start for about 30 minutes. Finally got home and that's where she sits. I work a lot on weekends so Probly can't work on it until tommorow. Im starting to think its the optispark? Or fuel pump? Both were replaced before I got the car. The fuel pump primes everytime and sounds strong. And the opti looks brand new. I'm stumped . Help me please
Old February 27th, 2012, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

anyone have any ideas? i really dont wanna replace the opti if it isnt the problem. could it be bad fuel injectors? theres tons of threads with similar problems but noone ever comes back and says what fixed it. i have a day off tomorrow so im gunna get it to die and find out if its missing fuel or spark.(almost positive its spark) but please even if its a shot in the dark... help me out
Old February 28th, 2012, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

I dont have a Z28 but i have a 1998 V6 so ill try to help. Does it chug or jerk like it is getting flooded? or does it just die right away? and if it starts up right away does it surge or feel like it is going to stall again? Im thinking it might be something on the electrical side. Check the sparks, wires and anything that could give a bad spark.

I would check or ask here if you dont find a solution, the car section is kind of crap here

Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and Firebird Forums
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

no it just cuts off like if i were to turn off the key. no warning at all just completly loses power. and it either starts right back up or just cranks and wont start. one time i was at a stop light and it surged like i smacked the gas but my foot was one the brake but its only done that one time and not recently. and about three times during acceleration it missed and then drove fine.
Old February 29th, 2012, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by zack3439
no it just cuts off like if i were to turn off the key. no warning at all just completly loses power. and it either starts right back up or just cranks and wont start. one time i was at a stop light and it surged like i smacked the gas but my foot was one the brake but its only done that one time and not recently. and about three times during acceleration it missed and then drove fine.
I have been trying to read up on it cause i want a WS6 Trans-am. But here are a few problems other have encountered. (1.) Is your security light on?? Cause some say that the VATS could malfunction cur off the engine and not allow it to restart for 3 minutes. (2.) Most say its the Optispark Distributor that is causing the problem and they say to replace it with OEM only (3.)(cheapest one in link but for a trans-am) or a bad MAF or vacuum leak

(1.) 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS (2.) Need some advise - engine stalling out while driving - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (#2 again) 96z-dealer stumped-stalls or won't start - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board
(3.) GM Performance 1104032 - ACDelco Replacement Optispark Distributors - Application - SummitRacing.com
Old February 29th, 2012, 2:40 PM
CF Junior Member

VATS shouldnt make the engine cut out. idk about 4th gens but when my VATS system went in my 90 iroc it ran and drove fine then just wouldnt start. the VATS shuts off the crank and the signal to the injectors. my understanding is there is a module that, when cranking, reads the resistance in the key and of it reads correctly it sends a signal allowing the injectors to fire and the car to crank, but i believe it only does so when first starting the car.
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ExcessiveEgo
VATS shouldnt make the engine cut out. idk about 4th gens but when my VATS system went in my 90 iroc it ran and drove fine then just wouldnt start. the VATS shuts off the crank and the signal to the injectors. my understanding is there is a module that, when cranking, reads the resistance in the key and of it reads correctly it sends a signal allowing the injectors to fire and the car to crank, but i believe it only does so when first starting the car.
That could be but the ignition signal in the the 3rd gen's were run through the oil pressure switch to keep the car running idk if it is the same for 4th gens. So it could be that and they say it wont allow the car to turn back on for at least 3 minutes.

I tried to find more links but most hinted toward the fuel pump

Need Help 93 Camaro/LT1 Runs but Stalls - Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum
Old March 4th, 2012, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the car only stalls when your are stopped and idling...otherwise no other issues...is that correct?

drives fine cruising and accellerating?? Does it stall when decellerating to a stop? Does it stumble when driving awayfrom a stop?

would you have access to a scan tool?
Old November 7th, 2012, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default my 93 z28

hey there i got a problem my 93 z28 once it warms up it just dies then it kicks back on for a minute but sputters alot when i push the gas then dies completely the guages die and then i try starting again and just cranks wont start i replaced the coil and checked the ICM both good but i checked for spark TO the optispark and no spark i have gas fuel is good and pressured so does anyone have any ideas im missing??
Old April 2nd, 2014, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Camaro problem

Hi there I have a 1994 Chevrolet Camoro Z28 it runs Greta but sometimes it will randomly die and not wanna start back for about 30-45 minutes if u don't try to start it every time it dies it will start back and if you let it war mil it won't do that what could be the problem

Quick Reply: 94 z28 dies, cools off, starts, dies again