Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

Error code p0046

Old October 2nd, 2015, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error code p0046

Hello everyone! Brand new to the forum and looking for some direction please. I have a 2014 Camaro SS/RS 6-speed and recently my engine light came on. Error code P0046. Anyone else had any issues? Is there a possibility it will still be under warranty? I hate going to the dealership and feel like I'm getting screwed.
Thanks in advance.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 8:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

give the dealer your vin and tell them to check the warranty status of your vehicle.
everything should be covered if your under 3 years 36 000miles.

if you have any custom tuning...put it back to stock programming be4 you go into the dealership. custom tuning will void the powertrain warranty. changing the programming will clear the dtc that is setting so the dealer won't be able to check anything until the code resets.

what engine do you have as nothing matched up for me for a p0046. what are you using to retrieve the dtc?
Old October 2nd, 2015, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
give the dealer your vin and tell them to check the warranty status of your vehicle.
everything should be covered if your under 3 years 36 000miles.

if you have any custom tuning...put it back to stock programming be4 you go into the dealership. custom tuning will void the powertrain warranty. changing the programming will clear the dtc that is setting so the dealer won't be able to check anything until the code resets.

what engine do you have as nothing matched up for me for a p0046. what are you using to retrieve the dtc?
Thanks, really appreciate the info. 6.2liter
Old October 2nd, 2015, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

sorry hit post too soon. 6.2 v8. Work buddy has a scanner, couldn't tell you what kind. I also have the extended warranty so I should be well within warranty.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

looks like a boost control range performance code. No info is available to me in the aftermarket as the model is to new.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

looks like a boost control range performance code. No info is available to me in the aftermarket as the model is to new.
Ok, thank you. I'll take it in and see what they have to say.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I heard that even if you put the programming back to stock, a dealer can still tell if a tune has been on the computer. Is that true?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 8:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 73shark
I heard that even if you put the programming back to stock, a dealer can still tell if a tune has been on the computer. Is that true?

The tuners I have used pull out the factory programming and retain it in the tuners memory. When you choose the remove the tune, the retained factory tune is put back in. the programming codes will appear as per factory when viewed from the scan tool.

I cannot say this for every tuner as I have not used them all. Custom tunes are another thing all together.

The dealer only has reason to look at the tuning programming when warrantying engine or transmissions. gm will ask for pictures of the programming off the scan tool for warranty re-imbursement to the dealer. If its not there...the dealer will be charged back the entire repair.

I have seen one notice sent to my dealer that a local vehicle lost powertrain warranty due to aftermarket mods; this notice was basically an APB to inform dealers the warranty was void for this vehicle. Big diesel with a tuner and all the emission deletes.

Last edited by tech2; October 3rd, 2015 at 8:16 PM.
Old October 5th, 2015, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

FYI....took the car in today, dealership said it was a bad evaporator canister. They are keeping car until Wednesday.

The tuners I have used pull out the factory programming and retain it in the tuners memory. When you choose the remove the tune, the retained factory tune is put back in. the programming codes will appear as per factory when viewed from the scan tool.

I cannot say this for every tuner as I have not used them all. Custom tunes are another thing all together.

The dealer only has reason to look at the tuning programming when warrantying engine or transmissions. gm will ask for pictures of the programming off the scan tool for warranty re-imbursement to the dealer. If its not there...the dealer will be charged back the entire repair.

I have seen one notice sent to my dealer that a local vehicle lost powertrain warranty due to aftermarket mods; this notice was basically an APB to inform dealers the warranty was void for this vehicle. Big diesel with a tuner and all the emission deletes.
Old October 5th, 2015, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

are you sure your scan tool got the code correct?
most evap system codes are p04__ while p004_ are reserved for tuning dtc.

the platform for the global A vehicles may be to advanced for what you are retrieving codes with.

Last edited by tech2; October 5th, 2015 at 8:12 PM.

Search this Thread