Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1984 Caprice, 5.0 w/ Overdrive and A/C - Electric Fan Conversion?

Old July 26th, 2016, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Caprice, 5.0 w/ Overdrive and A/C - Electric Fan Conversion?

Looking on Amazon for my Caprice, I've seen a lot of options for electric fans. However, my questions are if the fans are any good considering they're smaller than the stock belt-driven fan. I realize an electric fan would be a significant improvement to reduce fuel consumption and increase horsepower but having no experience with installing these, I needed to ask. I don't expect to be in city traffic much and my A/C doesn't work but I'm not ruling out using A/C in hot 90+ F city traffic either. Who here has experience in this conversion and what might be recommended? Thanks for reading.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 3:02 PM
CF Active Member

So , you are wanting to remove the belt driven fan & replace it with an electric fan ?

I seriously doubt you will notice the HP or MPG increase . But it is your $$$ .......

If I was going to do this , I think you can buy kits that include an adjustable thermostatic switch that controls the off - on of the electric fan motor . I would locate the fan in front of the radiator . And make sure the fan is blowing air through the radiator . I think they can be installed incorrectly & blow in the reverse direction ?

God bless
Wyr
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

I suggest you contact Classic Industries. They are a provider of stock and performance restoration parts. I have purchased items from them and their service department was outstanding.
Old June 9th, 2017, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

When my 84 Caprice started getting hot flashes at middle age, I found a very satisfactory and uncomplicated cure was to replace the stock radiator with a 3 core police version. Haven't had any overheating problems since and that was 100k miles ago.
Old June 10th, 2017, 3:50 AM
CF Active Member

Great idea ! :-)

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread