Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1984 caprice headliner

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2017, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 caprice headliner

Wondering if anyone has a lead to get a headliner board for a 1984 caprice station wagon. Can't seem to locate on line anyone who offers them? Thanks
Old March 18th, 2017, 5:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Try these people.
Buy vintage classic antique old car parts of quality online at Classic Motor World
Old March 23rd, 2017, 3:17 PM
CF Active Member

I had an 89 Caprice and the fabric on the headliner separated from the backing board. I tried 3M spray adhesive to get the fabric to stick again but the problem was the foam on the back of the fabric just dries out. With great care, I removed the headliner and stripped it of the original material and then used a shop vac to remove the remainder of the foam. I was then able to buy replacement fabric and glued it on with the 3M spray contact adhesive. All this because I searched everywhere and could not find a headliner for that car.
Old June 4th, 2017, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
I had an 89 Caprice and the fabric on the headliner separated from the backing board. I tried 3M spray adhesive to get the fabric to stick again but the problem was the foam on the back of the fabric just dries out. With great care, I removed the headliner and stripped it of the original material and then used a shop vac to remove the remainder of the foam. I was then able to buy replacement fabric and glued it on with the 3M spray contact adhesive. All this because I searched everywhere and could not find a headliner for that car.
How arduous was that process?
Old June 11th, 2017, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

When the headliner on my 84 Caprice stated to sag, I did about everything to put it back up but finally realized everything I was doing looked amateur and wasn't really holding very well. Finally took it to an auto upholstery shop which removed the existing board and stripped off the crumbling backer and redid it with new foam and headliner material. Don't remember the cost now but it couldn't have been too outrageous or I wouldn't have done it. 15 years later, the headliner is still tight and looks good. Point is, unless you are really good at this upholstery stuff, it might be better to leave it to the pros.
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I did the headliner in my '91 about 10 years ago. Headliner cloth was available from the fabric store then for about $10 a yard (needed 1-1/2 for the Caprice). It's now about $14-16 a yard. I tried the 3M spray-on adhesive, but that didn't work, so I ended up getting a roll-on latex contact cement from Menard's.

Take the panel out of the car (I had to recline both seats to get the room to drop the panel). Then get the panel on-edge and take it out of the door. I stripped the cloth and removed the old foam with a wire brush (like for removing house paint). I then rolled on the contact cement and let it dry almost all the way, then unrolled the cloth over it. The whole thing took maybe 2 hours.