Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Buying a 1991 Caprice Classic - questions (radio and temp gauge)

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2010, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 1991 Caprice Classic - questions (radio and temp gauge)

Hi all. I am new here. I am about to purchase a 1991 Caprice Classic sedan. Its a nice car, owned by an older woman. It was her husbands car... he has passed away.

The car runs and drives fine, but has a few issues... mostly electrical, which I am hoping are minor. The temperature gauge does not move up from C. It dont move up at all. The fuel gauge is well above F, but her son in law said it may be full on gas. I am not sure if it has failed as well and it "defaults" up past F? It has the factory Bose radio... does not work. Dont even show the clock. It has the power passenger seat... also does not work, but the driverside does. I am not sure if its on a fuse/breaker by itself or not?

I am not sure if the radio and temperature gauge is a fuse issue or not. I didnt check the fuses. It did have an owners manual, but at the time, I never thought to check. I am not sure what all other items are on those circuits, or if they are even linked. I am hoping its simply a fuse for the radio and the gauge is the sensor on the motor, as its cheap and easy to replace.

Also, the trunk carpeting is very damp. Seems like the seal is leaking. Is there any place to get a replacement seal thats not too costly? Everything else works fine... windows, dash lights, heater, etc. It has the group 2 option package and seems to have every option save for leather interior. It has the mirror compass, twilight sentinel, Bose radio, power antenna, etc.

I can get it for $1600.... it has new tires, new alternator, new A/C system (R134a).

I had/have the option to purchase another car I had been seeking... a 1990 Lincoln Town Car (base model). However, it being the base 1990 model, ABS brakes and twilight sentinel were options... both of which it lacks and the Caprice actually has. Also the TC needs new tires and window regulators at every window! I would still like to get a Town Car someday... but a nicer trim line.

Thanks for any info on the Caprice!

Last edited by Tennesseestorms; February 10th, 2010 at 8:06 PM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I found the fuse block diagram on autozones site. Seems the radio is on one by itself, so that could be a fuse. The gauges are on another fuse. The speedometer works and I am wondering if its considered a gauge and on the same one as the temperature/fuel gauge?
Old February 14th, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

OK. I got the car home... runs great!

Well the fuel gauge works, so I am assuming the temp gauge is the sensor. I will replace and see.

Now, I am having a problem with the original radio. It does not work. The fuse was blown, but I replaced it and it still does not work... the clock dont even come on. The new fuse didnt blow when I put it in. However, like an idiot, I changed the fuse with the engine on and it kinda arked (I guess it was drawing power somewhere)... I am guessing it didnt hurt anything. ??? It calls for 10 amp, I even put in a 5 amp and it didnt blow, so I dont guess there is a short. I am guessing the original radio is bad?

If I were to change it, what all has to come off to change the radio?

Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2010, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

I tried it again and it will sometimes make this whistling noise... it is powering up. However since the clock will not even come on, I guess the radio is dead.