Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1993 Caprice Problems!

Old April 23rd, 2007, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Caprice Problems!

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site. I have a few problems with my 93 caprice. I just got the car and thought they'd be easy fixes, but i was wrong. It's a 305 car and the problems are these: it runs really rough under load, pretty much undrivable. Sometimes so rough, that the check engine light comes on. If you then shut it off and turn it back on, light goes off and it runs a litte smoother. Usually it idles fine, but even sometimes thats a little rough. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires but it was no help. I've been told that it could be a bad sensor, but i wouldn't know where to start with that. Also, it DRINKS gas. I know this car isn't gonna be the best on fuel mileage, but this is for sure not the way its supposed to be. Finally, it heats up right off the bat into the red, then comes back down and runs cool again, pretty much for the rest of the time its running. I'm lost, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 25th, 2007, 1:40 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1993 Caprice Problems!

hey nice to finally see somebody else on the caprice forum.lol. but first the heat issue. sounds to me like you might have a sticky thermostat. replace it and flush your radiator good. you engine sounds like its having a timing issue. check and replace your timing chain. if you dont fell like doing all that then take it to a shop and get a diagnostic.
Old April 26th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks hitman. I changed the thermostat already, but i think it needs a good cooling system flush still. possibly a plugged heater core even? As far as timing goes, i'm not quite sold on that yet. It acts like its getting too much gas, and its definatly drinks it too, more than a gas guzzler like this should. I'm thinking that it could be a sensor of some sort, or something along those lines. Anyone?
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
CF Active Member

when you give it a good flush, stick a water hose in there and try to get some good water pressure in there to blast out any gunk in the heater core. after that, put everything back back and run a good solution of radiator flush fluid and do the process again. also.. have you checked you o2(oxygen) sensor. when that o2 sensor goes out it gives the ecu false readings and cause it to run rich in fuel.
ps. if you have alot of mileage you might want to change that timing chain to be safe.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

You're right about a possible sensor problem. Go AutoZone and run the codes. That will tell you what sensor is screwed.

Another thing that will cause the engine to run hot and have no power is a Stopped up Catalytic convert.

If you have over 150 k miles it is probably the cat.

Here a pic of my 93 Caprice

[IMG]local://upfiles/8532/20E5BC5732EC457483B4D1CA0967A7F8.jpg[/IMG]