Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

96 caprice w/LT1 Misfire issues

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 96 caprice w/LT1 Misfire issues

Okay, so I've put a remanufactured long block, monster transmission, rebuilt rear end, put an Accel 59125 Optispark II Distributor, cap and rotor. The check coolant light (it has enough fluid), check oil level(has enough oil) come off and on. I cut the cats off and have two 70 series flowmasters. The fuel gauge hasn't functioned properly in a while either. I just got it back today after having the tranny rebuilt. I had asked the mechanic to see if he could fix the hesitation problem that the car was having from time to time. It runs rough at low rpm's as well. He told me he hooked the computer to it and it shows a misfire. He looked at the optispark and the vent tube was not attached. He attached it and it would not run. I assume the place that did my engine figured out if they left it off it would run, the jerks didn't tell me or correct the problem. Is the accel a pos? Is this a computer prob? PLEASE HELP!
Old July 24th, 2013, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LT1s are temperamental when it comes to ignition parts. I only use AC Delco/Delphi parts for distributors, caps, rotors, and wires. I've used a few other opti dist. on my LT1s, but never the Accel, but others that have that I've talked to have be dissatisfied. I'd try the Impala SS forum for help with this car, lots of info over there with more traffic.

Mike