Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Caprice 1986 radio removal

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Caprice 1986 radio removal

I the radio in my 1986 Caprice needs to be repaired or replaced. It cuts out quite often and I have to bump it hard with my hand to get it to come back on. I have tried to determine how to remove it but it looks as though most of the dash has to be taken apart to get it out. Any suggestions for removal and repair?
Old January 29th, 2017, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

I changed out the radio on our 1991 caprice , but I had a Haynes or Chilton manual .

Try to find one . Or look for a video on youtube . Or do a google search for a video .

I replaced the radio in the 2008 Silverado company truck I drive . Used an ebay , Chinese replacement unit with lots of features . They are pretty reasonably priced .

I bought an install kit with the plastic trim pieces & an electrical connector that I attached / soldered to the connector that plugged into the factory radio .

Newer models , need to get the install kit that has an electronic " module " that preserves the warning " chimes " turn signal " clicks " . These kits are more expensive than the kits for the older models .

Best of luck ! :-)

God bless
Wyr

PS I DO NOT recommend you cut the factory connector off of the factory wiring harness and just soldering those wires to the wires on the new unit !
Old January 29th, 2017, 1:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Probably comes out from the rear.
Old January 29th, 2017, 2:58 PM
CF Active Member

Best I remember , I removed a mess of trim pieces . Then there were 4 screws at the front of the radio that attached / secured the radio to the dash .

Unplug the antenna cable & the electrical cable .

When finished , put all the trim pieces back in the reverse order .

Here is a video for a 1983 model . May be similar to you Caprice ?

God bless
Wyr