Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

H.E.I. ignition conversion

Old February 3rd, 2016, 8:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.E.I. ignition conversion

I have a 69 Impala convertible with a SB 350 that has the old style points and a condenser type of distributor. The engine was replaced with a rebuilt short block engine long before I got the car a few years ago. This engine doesn't seem to have the HP that the original engine would have had, but that is another story. I would like to convert the distributer to a H.E.I. type of distributor, but would also like to retain the original look if possible. I know there are kits to replace the points with a reluctor wheel and pick up coil, but that doesn't give the high energy ignition I would like to have. Sometime in the future I would like to get rid of the smog cam and replace it with something more like the original engine had or even something a little hotter, so what distributor do I look for?

Does anyone have a source for what I am looking for at a reasonable price? If I can't retain the original look, will any SB 350 H.E.I. distributor from my local car yard work or are there certain years I should try to find?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to make this upgrade. Thanks for any input.

Harv
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

i think you could use a hei Dustbuster made t fit a 1975 camero small block from mallary or accell ,but be aware that you have to pull a full 12 volts from the ignition switch for starting . some one may have the info on were to pick up the correct terminal on the switch ,i dont know if any one make's a adapter harness for this change over .you might try an outfit called painless wiring Painless Performance
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. I will investigate your recommendation and possibly other recommendations from those who may reply. Does the Dustbuster look anything like the stock distributor? I can fabricate any harness adapter I need if I have the circuitry. Getting 12 volts through the ignition switch for starting shouldn't be a problem. Do I need any special engine information before purchasing an H.E.I. system? I have a lot of time right now to investigate this fully as the car is in storage until sometime in April. Any replies are welcome.

Harv
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

i believe the accell distributor look's close to stock i think the mallory has a smaller distributor cap.the harness plug in to the dist is the harder on to come up with you might h ve to rob it from the scrap yard if napa or the part's store's don't have a repair harness end . i think it needs a heavy gauge wire with a ballast resister in the circuit .there are many wiring ideas on the net .
Old February 8th, 2016, 5:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Any HEI dist. from a 283 to a 454 will fit your engine. One wire hookup is all that is required.
Old February 9th, 2016, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Default H.E.I. conversion

I called the local car yard and he has Chevy HEI distributors for $40. Not a bad price, but it won't look original if I go that route. I need to figure out which is better: HEI or original looks. Any thoughts on that? I still need to check out the Accel and Dustbuster units. Thanks for the inputs.
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Default H.E.I. ignition conversion update

I decided to get the H.E.I. distributor from the local car yard. It is a good tight one with no side play and it came from a 79 El Camino with a 350 in it. Since they removed it, I did not get a chance to see where the two wires come from that plug into the distributor cap. I assume one of them is a 12v + supply when the ignition switch is on and the other probably is a ground, but I don't know if that is correct and if so, which is which. I think I will have to tie the wire from the ignition switch's cranking position and the run position together and eliminate the ballast resistor so it can have the full +12 volts when the switch is in the on or cranking position. Can anyone help me here? Thanks.

Harv
Old February 17th, 2016, 3:48 AM
CF Junior Member

No ground wire needed. 12v with key on to the positive terminal, no resistor and your ready to go. The other wire may have been for tachometer signal.
Old February 18th, 2016, 9:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds easy enough Richard. Thank you for the reply. If it only takes one wire from a 12 v. source when the key is in the on position, how does the coil get 12 v when cranking (so it can fire up) or do I also need to run another wire from the solenoid to the +12 v terminal on the coil?
Old February 18th, 2016, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

P.S. What gauge wire should be used to power the cable? A 10 gauge wire as some suggest, seems to be a bit of an overkill.

Search this Thread