Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Intermittent battery gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent battery gauge issues

1994 Caprice Classic (4.3 v8) Sometimes the battery gauge bottoms out while car is running. Doesn't seem to affect how it runs, sometimes turning off electricals (blower, rear defroster, etc) makes it come back up; sometimes turning electricals on makes it come back up; sometimes nothing works. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when/why it bottoms out. I had the alternator tested, and it was fine (of course, when it was tested, the battery gauge was up where it should be). Then today, it didn't want to start, like the battery was low, like it had been running on battery power for a day or so. All connections are tight, battery is fairly new. I have a multi-meter and know how to use it, I'm just not sure where/what to check. Does anybody have any ideas? This is the wife's car and I don't want her to end up stranded somewhere. Thanks in advance.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a remote positive battery terminal , located near the firewall, on the passenger side. The post is made of some sort of potmetal, so tighten this carefully, as it may strip easily. Carbon build up on this , and surrounding connections should be cleaned of any corrosion. I have had trouble with this for 10 years. The unit can be replaced by a part from the dealer... When loose the resistance causes the area to become hot, and compounds the problem.