Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Need Help with 1995 caprice 9c1 dying on freeway.

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with 1995 caprice 9c1 dying on freeway.

I just recently bought a 1995 Caprice police package 9c1 with 130,000 miles. I need support on how and why it died twice on the freeway within a few hundred yards. I was able to restart it both times while in neutral and still rolling. Any ideas ?
Old August 19th, 2015, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

I would check the fuel filter/pump to make sure it's getting good fuel delivery. Can put a pressure gauge on it to make sure it's putting out the correct fuel pressure. I had a roadmaster that quit on me a few times. Come to find out the fuel filter screen was clogged. Replaced the whole unit and the problem went away.

Also, check to make sure that it's getting good spark. The OptiSpark units on these cars can get a little flakey sometimes, especially if the water pump ever leaked in the cars history. Great unit, bad location.
Old September 20th, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Active Member

I have a 1991 Caprice . I changed out the fuel pump , it is in the tank . The filter is on the underneath , passenger side , forward of the RR wheel .

Also , best I remember , the fuel pump relay was near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment . Easy to get to and reasonably priced .

On our Caprice , best I remember there is an oil pressure switch that closes the fuel pump relay circuit after the engine starts & creats oil pressure . This keeps the pump running and the engine running . You might check that switch and the associated wiring .

Do not know for a fact , but I have heard of the oil filter stopping up & causing problems with the oil pressure switch ?

You might change the oil and install a new filter . Plugs , spark plug wires , rotor and distributor cap might not be a bad idea .

Mine has a little wire pig tail test wire , by the relay . You can apply 12 VDC to it and it by passes everything else and directly powers the pump .

God bless
Wtr