Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Power Steering Pump on 83 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2015, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump on 83 Caprice

I thought, so everyone told me, that replacing the Power Steering Pump is an easy fix. I have had two people working on it, and it is leaking from the hose, and no one wants to come back and fix it. The only reason I did not take it to a Garage, is I just do not have $200.00 for the labor. I am so stressed & frustrated right now. And to top it off, today is my Birthday, and I have no car!
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

That is why you have to get qualified people to do a repair job. The could be the hose which means it will have to be replaced. It could also be that they cross threaded the fitting and then the pump might have to be replaced again. It is hard to tell without actually seeing it. This is not a very good birthday gift.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
That is why you have to get qualified people to do a repair job. The could be the hose which means it will have to be replaced. It could also be that they cross threaded the fitting and then the pump might have to be replaced again. It is hard to tell without actually seeing it. This is not a very good birthday gift.
Dear oldchevy, After that mess I did take it to a mechanic, and it is worse now, than it was before. First they said I needed a tune-up, then it was the plugs and wires, then it was oh, your timing chain is stretched, now it is, oh your carburetor needs to be rebuilt. They have had it for 2 weeks, and they still don't know why she stopped running. And this is a shop that everyone raves about. When I asked if I could pick up the carb, and take it to a place to be rebuilt. The mechanic got all bent out of shape, because he says, well I won't make any money on that. I am sorry, but it seems like he does not know what he is doing, it is a basic car, nothing fancy. They just squeeze it in when they can. And I am sorry, but I see it sitting out in their parking lot more than I see it being worked on. I am tired of waiting.
Old November 24th, 2015, 12:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Do you mean it stopped running after this shop worked on it? How many miles are on the car?