Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Resto/Mod of 78 Caprice Classic - Advice on drive train and suspension upgrade

Old June 1st, 2015, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Resto/Mod of 78 Caprice Classic - Advice on drive train and suspension upgrade

I am doing a resto/mod on a 78 Caprice Classic. Before anyone tells me I am wasting my time, this is a family related project that will develop a car that will be passed from generation to generation. It was given to my children by their grandmother when she passed away; they gave it to me as a graduation present when I earned my Masters of Humanities degree at age 60; I am going to keep it as a cruiser and eventually pass it down to my son, who I hope will also pass it down to his son so it will be a four generation project, even though I am doing all of the work.

I am dropping in an LS3480 with a 470LE transmission that I purchased as a Connect and Cruise package from Chevrolet Performance and know I am going to need an upgraded sport suspension, a new rear end package, and 10" + disc brakes. At this point I am researching the suspension and rear end and am looking for some ideas about packages. I have considered going to a complete AirRide system but don't know if I will like that as much as an adjustable coilover sport suspension.

I've been working with some helpful folks at Summit Racing while looking for new parts and we're having some problems finding complete sport suspension kits that will work with a 78 B body vehicle.

Also am looking at Moser rear end packages that will handle the torque.