Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2014, 6:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by buster4101
Dear customer service, I've yet to receive your response for my concern. I had no choice but to pay the dealership for the repairs. Turns out it was defective battery cables. I have the old ones if you like i can have them shipped for you to inspect. Looking forward to your response.
Can you please resend your message? We're not seeing it in our inbox. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 20th, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New record: My starter worked one week this time

Originally Posted by Sverige
My car is about 2 years old (in august) and I'm the only owner.

About eight moths ago my car didn't start after I refuelled it. After the towing car arrived he managed to start it and I drove straight to the workshop, were analyzed the problem and had the solution that they had to replace the starter.

About 3.5 months ago I was on vacation with my family, after a whole day at the beach my car wouldn't start again. This time the towing truck had to tow the car away to he nearest Chevrolet workshop and they replaced the start engine (took 5 weeks to do this).

Two days ago when I thought I'd drive to work, my car didn't start again, so they have to tow the truck to the workshop.

About one hour ago I talked to the technician at the workshop and guess what? He said that the starter had to be replaced. I did argue with him about the previous problems and told him the whole story. But he should just replace the starter and everything should work...

I think this is ridiculous, because there are only three options. There is an electrical problem causing this, the service technicians can't handle their task and basically don't know what they are doing or you make the worst starters in history,

If this a known issue, please advise your service workshop around the world how to fix this.
So dear Chevrolet what should I do? change starter every time I change the oil?

Soon the winter is here and I wouldn't dare turn of the engine while refuelling.

Regarding my previous (1 week ago) and current starter problem...

Last time a guy from GM PM:ed me and gave me an email address to GM-Europe who should help me. But they didn't, they only gave me an e-mail address to Chevrolet Sweden. However "Chevrolet Sweden customer care" didn't care at all.

Last Wednesday (a week ago) I got my car back with a new starter.

Today the tow truck towed the car to the same workshop, because it didn't start... This is the Forth time in only nine months!!!
I believe the workshop will tell me that they will change the starter once again.

In my Chevrolet assistance insurance I will get a car that are alike, I think it begins to cost to pick up my car every other week, so this time I only got a KIA or maybe they devalued a Chevrolet Captiva to be at the same level?

I don't demand Chevrolet to create miracles, only to fix my damn car...

To be continued...

Last edited by Sverige; November 21st, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 12th, 2020)
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2012 Chevy Captiva Electrical issues

I have owned my Captiva for 2 months and have had it serviced 3 times. Going in tomorrow for the 4th. It has 35,612 miles on it. I've had the radio cut out when using the turn signals. I had problems trying to get key out of ignition, starting the vehicle, engine light keeps coming on, loss of power.

In the past month they have put in new oxygen sensors & main computer.
Dealership will not refund my money and I'm scared to drive it
Old December 17th, 2014, 4:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MCherne
I have owned my Captiva for 2 months and have had it serviced 3 times. Going in tomorrow for the 4th. It has 35,612 miles on it. I've had the radio cut out when using the turn signals. I had problems trying to get key out of ignition, starting the vehicle, engine light keeps coming on, loss of power.

In the past month they have put in new oxygen sensors & main computer.
Dealership will not refund my money and I'm scared to drive it
Hi there,

We would never want you to feel uncomfortable in your vehicle, and we can certainly understand your concerns. Please feel free to send us a private message if further assistance is needed from us. We would be happy to look into this further for you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 18th, 2014, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Captivas have many electrical issues

I love my Captiva but on any given day the radio may or may not continue playing, and many of the other electrical issues mentioned in this forum. I always laugh when the moderator immediately comes back at you with "I'm so sorry that this has been your experience with your vehicle! Please private message us so we can obtain some additional information."

I think everything should be in plain site so that if you answer my question with someone else I will know the answer. Don't sweep them all under the rug or keep them on the DL. Admit there is a problem and start doing something about it.
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to follow-up on my earlier post…..

A few days after my last post I received a frantic call from my wife who had again been left stranded.

Taking the advice of my father-in-law, I called a different Chevy dealership here in Atlanta. My father-in-law had been using them for years to service his work fleet with good success.

The service writer immediately gave me the GM service phone # to call for a wrecker. A wrecker was there within the hour. Two hours later I received an e-mail from the service writer confirming receipt of the vehicle.

They too were challenged in recreating the issues. So, I told them to take it for a long ride. They gave the keys to one of their mechanics and told him to hit the road. About 20 mins later the problems returned. Radio turned off and on then the dash error lights started flashing.

A few days later we were called to come pick up the Captiva. They had replaced the Body Control Unit (BCM). All was good…. Well sort of…

Within days the problems returned. So, back to the dealership we went. Only this time it would be different....

The service writer/dealership offered us a loaner to drive.

A service ticket was opened up with the GM engineering team.

With the help of GM engineering, the service techs were able to diagnose the problem as being low voltage in both positive and negative battery cables. The complete assembly was replaced.

Once the new cables were installed the service writer asked if they could drive it over the weekend to monitor it further. Absolutely, we said.

The following Monday we were asked if they could keep the car for a few more days. A GM district manager was coming in to see the car and to review the case. Absolutely x 2, we said.

When all was said and done….

It’s been over two month’s since we picked up my wife’s Captiva. It has since been running like a top. Not one “Bleep” or flashing error dash light. We even took the car on a 1500 mile trip over the Thanksgiving holiday and experienced no issues.

Our experience with this new (to us) dealership was nothing less than fabulous. Our service writers, Danon and Vladimir were top notch! They understood our frustration. Their communication of the issues and their plan to resolve them were spot on.

When / if my Chevy Tahoe does finally decide to give it up (300k+ miles and counting), I will be coming back to these guys for my next new Tahoe.

Hope all of this helps others…
Old January 3rd, 2015, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soooo many issues, dealer doesn't care

I bought my 2013 Chevy Captiva last month from a rental car sales place, after a week I told them it doesn't always start, the radio shuts itself off then comes back on, the check engine light comes on and off, the radio shuts off sometimes when the car is shut off before a door opens, and when in cruise control if I use the directional the radio and cruise shut off and the traction control light comes on.

The first response was "this is why we recommend an extended warranty". To which I responded that after a week I shouldn't need any warranty and we're in Mass where lemon laws back safety issues. So they took it and said the code coming up was water in the gas and they would have to get a chemical from GM (not dry gas) and drive it a few hundred miles to run the almost full tank I gave them down and then fill it up and it should be fine. They also stated they couldnt reproduce ANY electrical issues. I don't think they ran any diagnostic and it was just a best guess, they kept saying "chevy dealership" but then I found out it was the garage on their lot they share a building with.

After two weeks I was able to pick it up (they still hadn't seen any issues according to them) so my boyfriend drove w/ his friend the three hours back to the dealership and brought the Captiva to my work for me. When I left that night the interior lights didnt come on when opening the door, the lights couldnt be turned on manually, and the car didnt start... not a sound or a click, no power at all... then as I was getting my cell to call for a ride lights came on and the car started.

The dealership said to take it to a Chevy dealer near me and again tried to brush it off like it has nothing to do with them. They won't give a straight answer but finally said that if it's diagnosed we'll take it from there as to who will cover the cost of repairs.

Now it won't always start, the drivers side air bag light is on, the radio turns off and on, other lights come on and off, it starts hard (only way I can describe it, it really has to try) and the dealership hasnt responded to my update.
Old February 6th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

same issues with my 2012 chevy captiva . Hoping GM will fix this and include it in recalls.32
Old February 6th, 2015, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 Captiva that i purchased in October. It has roughly 37,500 miles on it. Haven't had any problems with it until last week when this problem happened twice. I drove home from work (about 25-30 mins) came home and shut the engine off, went inside for about 20 mins, then came back out to leave again. I put my bags in the back seat, hopped in the front and went to start the engine. Up until this point everything was working (electrical, lights, etc...) I turned the key in the ignition to start the car and everything shut down (lights, radio, dash) the car wouldn't even turnover. I tried to take the key out of the ignition and it would turn, but not come out. I read the owner's manual and the only this that I could find that might match the problem was the PASS-Key III system. The only difference is with that you are supposed to be able to take the key out of the ignition and after 5 mins the system should come back on. So I decided to wait, after 10 mins there was no change. I began looking online and even tried checking the fuse box, even though the owners manual didn't specify which fuse to check for the PASS-key system. After 20 mins, the power locks unlocked the car and the lights came back on. I pulled the key out of the ignition, put it back in, and started the car. At this point it seemed fine, the main components I was checking were functioning. I pulled out of the driveway and started to get on the highway and realized I had to turn signals or radio. After another 15 mins everything was fully functional again. My concern is that it has happened twice in the same week. I took it to the dealership and they cannot recreate the problem.
Anyone have any insight on this???
dicus30 (September 13th, 2020)
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

laurenlea569 I am still trying to get mine fixed. Most of the codes that were popping up were anti theft codes so whatever system that was got replaced. It happened again a week later, key wont come out, no power to anything, radio off, total power loss... and after urging from me (and threatening the place I bought it with lawyers) the dealership checked the battery again, this time without it being hooked to the battery cables and the the battery is crap, the plates inside it are broken, this can send out some of the codes that were coming up (though mine had 23 codes so not all) like the anti theft code. I'm hoping this fixes it completely, just an FYI so you have an idea of what can be causing the power issues.

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues