Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 3:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems to be getting worse

found this forum. My radio, would occasionally display the device not supported message but recently it's doing it constantly. Before it was just a nuisance but now it seems to be doing it every few seconds. I've also had issues with the traction control warning light coming on on the dash.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also having this problem. Initially at 33,000 miles. Took it in under warrantee and they tightend battery cable. This fixed it for about two months. 2012 LTZ AWD I had researched this prior to bringing it to the dealer and copied this thread. Showed the manager. Remote start wouldn't work, abs lights coming on, radio going out, car having an intermittent misfire when shifting, service traction control indicator lit, check engine light lit. At one time we could activate this occurance by raising the window or hitting the bright lights.

He said it was fixed and all he did was tighten a bolt. I had reservations this was going to fix it and asked what happens if it happens again and I am out of warrantee? He said they would look at it on a case by case basis.

I see the battery cable is priced at over 200.00 at the dealer. Must be some special battery cable.

Well...it happened again. Dealer gives us the run around and told us to contact Chevrolet customer service. Apparently, warrantee repairs remain under warrantee for 12 months after the repair. It goes in again on Tuesday. Wife has to take the day off from work. This is so frustrating. It seems they do a quick fix to get you out the door and beyond warrantee. All we want is this issue fixed.

Dealer warned us they would nothing do if the fault did not happen to them during the time the mechanic looks at it. Well...it doesn't happen all the time. Not sure what to do. Sad deal. I have a picture of this happening on my phone.

Last edited by Zrxpilot; April 3rd, 2015 at 8:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 13th, 2020)
Old April 5th, 2015, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mandy11
laurenlea569 I am still trying to get mine fixed. Most of the codes that were popping up were anti theft codes so whatever system that was got replaced. It happened again a week later, key wont come out, no power to anything, radio off, total power loss... and after urging from me (and threatening the place I bought it with lawyers) the dealership checked the battery again, this time without it being hooked to the battery cables and the the battery is crap, the plates inside it are broken, this can send out some of the codes that were coming up (though mine had 23 codes so not all) like the anti theft code. I'm hoping this fixes it completely, just an FYI so you have an idea of what can be causing the power issues.
The dealership had my car for over a week and found nothing wrong with it. They said they replaced some harness to try to fix the problem. Now a month or so later, I am driving to work and my parking break comes on and the dash starts flashing. They about 3 hours later I try to leave for lunch and same thing, no power no nothing. This time the it takes about 3 minutes and it will start. That day thr car had the same problem 3 different times. It goes in Monday to he checked again, but of course it seems to be working fine now.
Old April 6th, 2015, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Radio Keeps saying USB device not supported

I recently just purchased a 2013 Chevy Captiva used from Riata Ford Dealership with 57,000 miles on it. The radio will flash USB device not supported several times when I have the radio on. I am able to get it back to radio but its frustrating. I don't have anything plugged into the USB port either. I am worried that it is something electrical and may lead to bigger issues. What should I do? I don't want this small issue to turn into a major repair that I can not afford.

HELP ME!!!!!
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default tpearce

Me too @ jbream 84! I just bought mine 3 days ago the only difference is mine is a 2014. I hope someone replies with a solution asap! I'm worried about the same thing; repairs I can't afford!

Oh, and of course it didn't do this when I test drove it. ugh

HELP!

Last edited by tpearce; April 28th, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 13th, 2015, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So fustrating

Last year I have had all the same issues that everyone else had on this forum, in fact I even posted my problems to this forum last year. After several trips to service, they finally changed my battery cables in July of 2014 (after diagnosing my car for 1 1/2 weeks). The car seemed to be fine, until this past week. Lights started to pop on and off again and this morning my radio wouldn't turn on at all, (not even the clock display), and the noise for the blinker would not sound when I used it. I brought my car in AGAIN this morning, and it's now the end of the day and I haven't heard anything regarding it yet. I thought my problems were fixed last July, now I am having nothing but regret for owning this car. Chevy has such a name of excellence that I am starting to question why. I am not feeling very safe driving my children to school or on family vacations in a car that is always having problems.
Old May 16th, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Took ours in again. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it in the test drive and told us there is nothing they would do. Decided to take it back where we bought it from (a Toyota dealer).

Found out the original owner had it for 22,000 miles, the second owner had it for 10,000 miles and now us dumping it after 9,000 miles. Coincidence?

Gave us a fair deal on a brand new Toyota Rav 4. Received our money back minus .24 cents a mile. Zero percent financing for the duration of the loan.

I've always been a "buy American" particularly Chevrolet kind of guy but this thing has been a disappointment from day 1. Wished I would have skipped this thing and bought new right out of the gate.

Perhaps the new owner will figure it out. At least there is an open case on it.
Old May 17th, 2015, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Chevy Captiva the worst!!!!!! Never again!!!

I purchased a Chevy Captiva in June of 2014 and it has shut down on me several times to where my key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Each time had to unscrew the port on the battery cable then screw it back on. Within having the vehicle new of 2 weeks was the first time it happened. Took back to dealer each time, received a loaner vehicle then received car back either saying they don't know what the problem is, everything looks good, and the most recent time they replace the battery but it has done it twice afterwards!!! The dealer acts like they don't care or take any knowledge that hey this customer has brought this car back at least 6 times, haven't had the car a year, car keeps shutting down, like lets fine the root problem. No instead I been getting the run around and it isn't fair. Bad deal, bad car, and I just want to take it back!!!!! Who wants to ride around in fear of being stranded then I have to make sure I have tools with me so that I can jump my car back up to working...it's not right!!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't buy this car1!!!!!!!!! Upset Customer!!!!!
Old May 18th, 2015, 4:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nellabug
I purchased a Chevy Captiva in June of 2014 and it has shut down on me several times to where my key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Each time had to unscrew the port on the battery cable then screw it back on. Within having the vehicle new of 2 weeks was the first time it happened. Took back to dealer each time, received a loaner vehicle then received car back either saying they don't know what the problem is, everything looks good, and the most recent time they replace the battery but it has done it twice afterwards!!! The dealer acts like they don't care or take any knowledge that hey this customer has brought this car back at least 6 times, haven't had the car a year, car keeps shutting down, like lets fine the root problem. No instead I been getting the run around and it isn't fair. Bad deal, bad car, and I just want to take it back!!!!! Who wants to ride around in fear of being stranded then I have to make sure I have tools with me so that I can jump my car back up to working...it's not right!!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't buy this car1!!!!!!!!! Upset Customer!!!!!
Hello Nellabug,

We truly apologize for this frustrating and unsettling concern involving your Captiva. You have the right to expect long-term reliability and quality from your Chevrolet, and we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership? We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chev Captiva

I bought my 2012 Chev Captiva used about a 1 1/2 yr ago and two months into it had the radio interruptions started. Then it moved on to the cruise control & radio interrupted by blinkers & brights, plus other
warning lights including the stability & traction control come on & go off.

The radio interruptions happen both when shutting car off before opening door & when cruise is on & blinkers or brights were used or just going down the street & touching brakes. The cruise control interruptions happen going down the highway when the blinkers and or brights were used or on its own & usually included the radio being interrupted too. The battery has gone dead once. Other sensor lights lights will go on & off, they include the traction, stability, abs or brake light, (P).
codes shown so far have been P062F, C0292, P0620. The newest things to happen were the door locks wouldn't lock because I opened the door before the radio came back on and could roll up a window until I restarted the car. I am not so sure there wasn't a time or two that it threatened not to start.

So far after a wire repair to the EMC, battery being recharged, & BCM being replaced the problems would be ok for up to three weeks but the problems keep coming back. I have had it in for repairs 5 times & towed once. My current mileage is 31377. Now on my third visit to a Chevrolet dealership which is 3 hours away and having to rent a vehicle while the part is ordered they are replacing the negative battery cable. I now have over $2,000.00 including rental car costs into this car. Of course nothing was covered under the warranty that I bought at the time I bought the car.

My confidence in this car is very badly shaken because like others I am so afraid of being by myself and stranded by this car. I couldn't afford a new one when I bought this one and sure can't now. Its very hard to afford all these repairs. Can anyone tell me since the battery cable replacements have been done if the problems came back or did it actually fix the problems?

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues