Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2014, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More issues with radio on 2012 Captiva

So many people with this same issue yet they tell me in a "private" message that they had no idea. My question would be why not. The radio goes on and off. It displays error messages regarding the USB port (which stopped working also by the way) and there is nothing in the USB port. I don't want to pay a fortune to get my radio back......any suggestions?
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 12th, 2020)
Old August 27th, 2014, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting we just found this. The wife took delivery of a 2012 v6 Captiva this past weekend. Day 1 the radio started turning on and off. Engine error code show low voltage. The place were we purchased the car has great customer service and is taking it straight to the dealer for diagnosis and hopefully for repair.

Any updates here as my wife just loves this car?
Old August 28th, 2014, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad I found this post. We have had our Captiva for about 4 months now and have loved it so far. However, we have noticed a hesitation when driving for a while and they checked the transmission and they told us there was no problem. We thought it was just the difference between the old car we traded and this one. However recently the radio started cutting out here and there. Then today as my wife picked up the kids from school she said the radio was turning off and the service parking break light came on. I guess we will be taking the car in to have it looked at. Going to stink to have to pay several hundred dollars on a car that just turned 40000 miles.
Old August 29th, 2014, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

I did get my cross over fixed, the battery cables had a dead cell and were changed. Granted it did take just about two weeks for the shop to fix battery cables but never the less it got fixed and haven't had a problem since. So many people seem to have the same alarms that go off, and to be honest to a women who have no idea what could happen while driving a vehicle that is throwing alarms left and right it does become very scary. I don't understand why there isn't a recall on these battery cables. I would think this would make good customer service and allow your customers to drive with a sense of security. I was terrified driving with my children in this car, I am pleased to finally have it fixed but did loose the safe feeling I had when I originally purchased the car. Makes me think twice about buying chevey again in the future.
Old August 29th, 2014, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

it's the battery cables, I had the same issues. scary to drive that way. I had to bring my car in twice before they actually looked into it. Print out this forum and bring it with you as well.
Old August 29th, 2014, 7:20 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Jgildehaus,

So sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your newly purchased vehicle. Was this diagnosis performed at a GM dealership? We would be happy to assist in the resolution process if needed. You are welcome to send us a private message at any time.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Jgildehaus
I am glad I found this post. We have had our Captiva for about 4 months now and have loved it so far. However, we have noticed a hesitation when driving for a while and they checked the transmission and they told us there was no problem. We thought it was just the difference between the old car we traded and this one. However recently the radio started cutting out here and there. Then today as my wife picked up the kids from school she said the radio was turning off and the service parking break light came on. I guess we will be taking the car in to have it looked at. Going to stink to have to pay several hundred dollars on a car that just turned 40000 miles.
Old August 29th, 2014, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

So GM... Is there going to be a recall it seems like a lot of people have this same issue with the captiva and we don't have the funds to bring it to have it fixed. But it needs to be fixed ASAP because I can't be out in a parking stranded with my 2yr old. On top everything else that happens (see my precious post) now my car randomly won't start at times, I'll put the key in to start it and the key locks and won't turn at all, won't let me pull it out, everything just locks up and I have to wait for it to unlock which sometimes can take a long time. It just does this randomly.

Thanks!
Old August 29th, 2014, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

We have not had the service done yet but we will be taking it to a gm dealer to have the work done.
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Jgildehaus,

So sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your newly purchased vehicle. Was this diagnosis performed at a GM dealership? We would be happy to assist in the resolution process if needed. You are welcome to send us a private message at any time.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 29th, 2014, 8:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Hello,

We would be happy to assist! We truly apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Each situation is treated on a case by case basis, and we would like to get you in contact with your local dealership for a diagnosis so we may proceed with a resolution. Please send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Lynn.dotson
So GM... Is there going to be a recall it seems like a lot of people have this same issue with the captiva and we don't have the funds to bring it to have it fixed. But it needs to be fixed ASAP because I can't be out in a parking stranded with my 2yr old. On top everything else that happens (see my precious post) now my car randomly won't start at times, I'll put the key in to start it and the key locks and won't turn at all, won't let me pull it out, everything just locks up and I have to wait for it to unlock which sometimes can take a long time. It just does this randomly.

Thanks!
Old August 29th, 2014, 8:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted on the result.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Jgildehaus
We have not had the service done yet but we will be taking it to a gm dealer to have the work done.

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues