Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captive Key stuck in ingition and will not come out

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Captive Key stuck in ingition and will not come out

I have a 2012 Captiva and my key has been stuck in the car for over a week cause I can't afford to have it fixed at the cost of $600. This is not any fault of mine that the car will not release the key. I noticed a recall on 1990 chevy, but why would it take a company so long to report a recall on a issue like this. I can't even drive the car to school or to work, because I can't retrieve the key. I am a full time student who now has to miss days towards the end of my semester to work more hours at work to try and fix this car. Can anyone recommend a mechanic that can do it for less then the dealership. All this new electrical things suppose to make the cars, better just seems to make more problems. Just give me a old fashion car leave the electric and wifi and etc out of it.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe you can use this source to encourage Chevy to make it right.
GM Offering To Fix Cars With Stuck Key Problem | GM Authority
Can you move your key through all positions?
This may help you as well.

Last edited by Rednucleus; May 22nd, 2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks For your help!! I will give them a call tomorrow!!... The video is great! But my steering while and windshield wiper is made different. I can't pop the top like that in the video.

QUOTE=Rednucleus;322104]Maybe you can use this source to encourage Chevy to make it right.
[/QUOTE]
Old May 22nd, 2016, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

QUOTE=Rednucleus;322104]Maybe you can use this source to encourage Chevy to make it right.
[/QUOTE]
Old May 22nd, 2016, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks For your help!! I will give them a call tomorrow!!... The video is great! But my steering while and windshield wiper is made different. I can't pop the top like that in the video.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

what are they saying is wrong with it? you may be able to jump wires or physically push on the park lock solenoid (similar to that video) temporarily until you can get it fixed
Old May 23rd, 2016, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

They are saying it's my ingintion lock cylinder the key is not being released. It stops on the (acc) won't go to the lock position to release the key.
Old May 24th, 2016, 7:48 AM
CF Veteran

does it rotate freely the other way? Lock cylinders don't normally bind in just one direction. The park lock solenoid (has many other names also) system is what I would be looking at:

"If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission and a floor mounted console gear shift, it has an electronic park lock system (EPL). The EPL system purpose is to prevent the ignition key from being turned to the OFF position when the transmission is in any position other than PARK and the vehicle may still be moving. The EPL system consists of an ignition lock cylinder solenoid, and a park position switch that is located in the A/T shift lock control switch. The ignition lock cylinder solenoid contains a pin that is spring loaded to mechanically prevent the ignition key cylinder from being turned to the lock position when the vehicle transmission is not in the PARK position. If vehicle power is lost, and/or the transmission is not in the Park position the operator will not be able to turn the ignition key to the lock position and will not be able to remove the ignition key from the column. "

That's straight from GM service information just to give you an idea of what i'm talking about, older cars used to have a ton of issues with damaged wiring at the base of the shifter. If you have someone mechanically able the first thing I would do is get to the wiring at the shifter and jump the circuit to see if the solenoid releases or not. Lock cylinder is a possibility but in my opinion not very likely unless it doesn't rotate at all or physical is hard to rotate.