Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

Captiva

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2014, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swalfyboy - Suggestion for you.

IMO you have them by the Kahunas simply because of the trouble they're in with faulty ignition switches. When the big lawyers get thru with GM they 'prolly won't have enough money to buy TP have to use newspaper wipe.

There is a gov'nt organization NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, put in place for us who have complaints about our vehicles you can drop them a line tell them what's wrong what the dealer did and they will investigate. Send them the receipt for the work, a copy will do.
What gets me is they showed the key slot mechanism and how it works on TV cost on a new one was a few bucks.

You can write NTHSA or call the GM district office ask for the safety dept tell them you have ignition problem dealer could not fix. Tell them you would like to resolve the problem at the "local level" rather than going to see a local Attorney who would no doubt involve the Government and NTSA. I would also tell them I would appreciate a free loaner car to drive until yours is fixed. Tell them you would appreciate speaking with someone in authority immediately and you will hold on. If you get one smidgeon of BS be nice and say, "I wanted to resolve this at the local level but you leave me no choice but to contact a local attorney, have a nice day and thank you for your time."

It would take a complete idiot to ignore you and IMO you will be talking with someone in authority soon.

Another thought. IMO the dealer is not up to snuff they should have offered to call the district office get an expert on the line see what they say because the ignition switch is in the spotlight now and another problem with it ain't a good thing for GM, OR YOU OR YOUR WIFE. No sir, . . . I'd be at the dealership tap dancing on the owners desk demanding something be done pronto or you intend to get the toughest Attorney in town on your side. Is the vehicle still under the 3 year factory warranty??

Last edited by OldCoot; April 21st, 2014 at 7:21 AM. Reason: More info.
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by swalfyboy
My wife has a 2012 Chevy Captiva. We are having a issue with the key ignition. When she puts the car in park and tries to turn the ignition off and take the key out the key doesn't come out. She has to take the car out of park and then put it back in park. then the key comes out. The key cylinder has been replaced by the dealer but it continues to do it. Any help will be appreciated.
Hello swalfyboy,

I would like to further assist you with this concern. Can you please send a PM my way with your VIN, mileage, contact info and preferred dealership? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 22nd, 2014, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

When that happened to ours we had no battery power and a jumper charge corrected the dead battery. We still have no idea how the battery was completely drained. The GM assistance told us that when there is no power the key will not come out of the ignition?
Old August 10th, 2014, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

I purchased a 2014 Captiva 2 weeks ago with just under 14,000 miles.
In combined city/highway driving I am getting 25 mpg. On the one road trip I got 28 mpg at about 70 mph with the a/c on. Based on my combined mpg of 25 I was a little disappointed in only getting 28 on the highway. I know that I was driving well above the Captiva's "sweet spot" at over 70. I'm sure mileage would go up at 55 mph.
So far I am really enjoying this car. It's the 2.4 with FWD and I have already put 2k miles of my own on it.
Old August 17th, 2014, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have seen a lot for sale on Ebay all over the US
Old August 5th, 2015, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 and love it!
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Captiva

This is my second one. Wife was so satisfied with our Vue X-RAY that when we wa them in Mexico we did research and found the Captiva to be identical. Good ride, good pep, nice features and a good price. Chevy dealers sell used models in AZ.
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ronbo4
This is my second one. Wife was so satisfied with our Vue X-RAY that when we wa them in Mexico we did research and found the Captiva to be identical. Good ride, good pep, nice features and a good price. Chevy dealers sell used models in AZ.
You can only buy used. They were only produced for fleet vehicles. Stinks they stopped producing them. I'm glad I bought the extended warranty also. This way I am carefree about repair fees
Old November 25th, 2015, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 captiva 50 k mileage and on hot days it shuts off a/c and flashes code ,code came back as condenser unavailable, that was #1problem.
#2 engine fan now wont shut off even after car is off and now throws warning (engine hot a/c off )
#3 chevy dealers in my area kcmo tell me its not covered smh
Yes it was used but i bought it Since my 03 Silverado had 200k on it and the computer and electrical issues became
Too much so i bought this , now after this captiva i can honestly say i will not be buying a chevy again unless chevy starts fixing things.

First car was a 78 el camino then 87 Silverado, 81 el camino, 03 Silverado and now 13 captiva and now never again