Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

key stuck in ignition

Old May 15th, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key stuck in ignition

I have a 2012 captiva sport I love my small suv... But, lately i have been having problems with removing my key. I started a new job and on my first day. I was almost late cause the key did not want to come out. Then just yesterday the key did not come out. All day at work I had to leave the key in the ignition. Several of my new co-works tried removing the key no luck. I had to leave the key in over night. And the battery drained down I needed a jump and still the key could not be removed. I had to go to work again with the key stuck in the ignition. My friend who purchased the same truck cause she liked mine. Searched the internet and we found no help on what to do to remove the key.

Please help me figure this out.

Thanks
Miltoga
Old May 15th, 2016, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Its probably the transmission interlock switch, I had the same thing happen on another car I had.
There may or may not be a little removeable cover on the bottom of the steering column that is under the ignition switch,it could be just a small hole, you can remove that cover and push a pencil or other round object in there and depress a release button to get the key out. I had to do that when the battery went dead on my Saturn Vue. The Captiva is the same vehicle.
Should be similer to this video.
http://youtu.be/XaNaXwZtjGc

Last edited by Angrybird12; May 15th, 2016 at 6:38 PM.
Old May 15th, 2016, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, I just seen the video mines dont have that little hole underneath it

Last edited by Miltoga; May 15th, 2016 at 7:06 PM.
Old May 15th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Miltoga
Thank you, I just seen the video mines dont have that little hole underneath it
Then there should be a plug or snap on cover in the same location.
You would have to do that every time until you fix the issue causing it not to release automatically.
Old May 15th, 2016, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I only found a hole with a screw that takes off the whole panel. This car is weird
Old May 16th, 2016, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

I have never had a car do something like this. I brought this car thinking I want to support business made in the USA. But, this is just car I am now scaried to even drive the car cause the key may or may not come out at my destination. Do anyone know of a recall on this issue I have seen past vehicles with recalls and current issues about this problem online?
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Miltoga
I have never had a car do something like this. I brought this car thinking I want to support business made in the USA. But, this is just car I am now scaried to even drive the car cause the key may or may not come out at my destination. Do anyone know of a recall on this issue I have seen past vehicles with recalls and current issues about this problem online?
I dont know, I think there was one on some cars but I dont know if yours was one of them. Any car that uses an ignition interlock that is electronically controled can have this happen to. I have seen it happen to volvos and BMW's so its not just a USA made issue.
Best bet is contact the local Chevy dealer. They can diagnose the problem and fix it.
Old December 27th, 2016, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hi.. I'm having same issue it just started about 2weeks ago.. But I had to leave my key in the ignition Christmas eve..So did u ever find out what caused the problem?
Old December 27th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, I called the Corporate office in Detroit and let them know about a 2.4 million dollar recall that's online. Even though my car is not on recall but having the same issues they found it was made at the same factory were the other cars that had the same issue was made. They agreed to look and fix mine if that's the issue, but it's crazy because after they agreed to fixing it. The day before I was to take the car in. The damn key came out and has not been stuck again. And for me it was stuck for about two weeks.
Old July 25th, 2018, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

I've had this exact issue with my 2014 Chevy Captiva for the past month. Had to leave my key in the ignition at work a few times, this killed the battery and I had to get a jump when I went to leave. Like others have mentioned, the issue is intermittant. I have read that its a transmission interlock issue.

I made a YouTube video to show people how they can at least release the key, otherwise your stuck with a dead vehicle. https://youtu.be/zdqBId9AMHs

Please post if covered under some recall, or if your experiencing the same issue. What did you do? I am at 65,000 miles so I believe any powertrain warranty would no longer be an option for me, but maybe it could help others.

Search this Thread