Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

02 Cavalier fuel pump will not power on

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2013, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

theft deterrant light on?
The following users liked this post:
JerryL (January 20th, 2024)
Old February 4th, 2013, 6:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2" hose between the pump and the metal tube coming out of the tank break completely apart. Pump would run when jumpered, but couldn't push the gas up the line. Didn't find the problem till i removed the pump from the tank. Very obvious after that. Cheap fix.
Old February 7th, 2013, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
theft deterrant light on?
no the theft light is not on
Old February 7th, 2013, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you are getting 12volts for 2 seconds at key on and the fuel pump isn't running....and you can power and run the fuel pump with an external 12 power source.....I suggest you check the amperage that is getting to the fuel pump. There may be a voltage drop along the pink feed wire from the relay to the connector near the tank.

If you have no tools to measure amperage; disconnect the wiring near the tank and hook a headlamp up into the circuit to simulate the load of the f/p. turn the key to run for the 2 seconds the system will energize...if the light bulb is dim you have voltage drop on the wire.
Old July 28th, 2016, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power ok it's the ground wire.

Originally Posted by Alston518
if you get anywhere with it, please message me, id appreciate it
. Mine just did the same thing. But we turn it into a dirt track car. On the driver side some wires run along the lower part of the door. All black wires are gound. Which we cut and pulled all of them running to tail lights only. Went to start car nutting. Come to find out every one of them black wires hook together. In the wiring harness A big black one and a small one we end up hooking back together Car starter right back up. Just something of a idea u could check
Old October 9th, 2023, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Chevy Cavalier not getting any voltage from the relay box for my fuel pump

So I saved you the long story but I am at the fuse box and I am getting no voltage from relay 30 or 87 on relay box when I straight wire it from the battery and check the voltage going to the wiring harness to the fuel pump I get 8.9 volts for 2 seconds and then it goes away because you know that's what happens and I'm at a loss now what to do if anybody could help I greatly appreciate it.....