Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

02 cavalier rear drums sticking

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2013, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 cavalier rear drums sticking

I recently pulled the emergency brake in the snow to aid in stopping faster. After doing so the rear drums are sticking as if the emergency brake is still engaged. The weird part though is the face that it only seems to stick while moving forward. In reverse there is no resistance. It's killing my gas mileage! The wheels still move but it is putting a strain on the motor. I have tried engaging and disengaging the emergency brake handle in both drive and reverse to help free the drums with no luck. Btw this was the first time I have used the emergency brake. Any suggestions?
Old December 13th, 2013, 3:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get to a shop and have them freed up, you are burning up you brakes!

They can release them without replacing your emergency brake cable, it can be done from under the car

If you type in how to release stuck parking brake, in Google you will find some options if you want to try it yourself. Sometimes driving in reverse and applying the brakes will readjust them.

Last edited by LastTycoon; December 13th, 2013 at 3:50 AM.