Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

02 cavalier z24 no start

Old January 17th, 2016, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 cavalier z24 no start

So I've been stumped on this for over a yr. I had been driving my cavalier out of town for a month (about 26 miles each way) there was never any issues, Trac off lights have been on since I changed the abs censor, and check engine light but that's because the ac doesn't work. Went 2 go 2 work 1 morning and nothing! No crank, no start and the odometer was reading error instead of numbers. Tried the bypasses, ALL OF THEM never any progress. Bought a new bcm and ecm installed both tried bypass still nothing. No sound no attempt 2 turn over nothing! So i read that the comps need reprogrammed. Took it 2 a Chevy dealer for reprogramming, they couldn't get their scanner to read anything off the comps. Couldve had them try 2 fix but at $90 a hr ill try on my own. Figured it could be a short on the wire harness, after rewiring any broke wires, & retaping the harness I put the harness back in. Now the car tries to crank but no go. I replaced the fuel pump, starter, checked my censors replaced any that seemed like they needed replaced or were old. I've basically rebuilt the car by now. The biggest issue is I can't get any scan tool to read through the plug under the drivers dash. My next step is rewiring the dash harness (thinking it could be a wire or short.) But that's a pain in the a** so hoping someone could give me an idea on where 2 go from here because if the dash harness isn't it I have no idea where else to go. THANKS
Old January 17th, 2016, 1:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you have a lot going on there. lets try to sort out the scan tool issues first as if that is resolved you with have a diagnostic starting point for the no start.

does the scan tool power up? If not, with key in the run position, check for power at pin 16 and for grd at pins 4 & 5.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

yes the scan tool powers up, it reads the type of car it is its just when it goes to read the computers it stays on a loading screen. ive tried several different scan tools and still the same issue. same problem the chevy dealership had when i tried to get the ecm reprogramed.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 1:01 PM
CF Veteran

can they read any of the modules?

Search this Thread