Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

04 cavalier few problems

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cavalier few problems

I have a few problems with my 04 cavalier 2.2 automatic. It has 85,000 miles. Runs great, engine quiet, drives smooth. Not sure if these problems below are related or not.

A few weeks ago I got new front brake pads installed.

1. In the following weeks, I have had my "TRAC OFF" light come on while driving. AutoZone check engine tool didnt find any stored codes.

First time light came on, I pulled over, shut car off and turned it back on. Light wasn't on anymore.

Second time about 2 weeks later, it came on and I kept driving for a few minutes. Pulled over in a parking lot, parked for a minute, went to put it back in drive and there was a loud THUMP. I threw it back in park, restarted the vehicle and the light was gone and didn't thump again.

2. In the past week I have noticed a squealing noise coming from my front passenger wheel. The noise comes and goes and its more noticeable when turning. The noise only lasts a few moments and doesn't always happen. The noise happens when I am NOT applying brakes.

3. Every 20 or so times I go to start my car, it whines like its trying to start and it takes a few seconds to turn over. Last time it did this, there was a burnt plastic or rubber smell for a moment immediately after it turned over.
---------
And as a final note, for at least the past 30,000 miles, the car shifts a little hard once in a while around the 40 MPH mark but never gave it a thought.

Please any tips or info. Don't just tell me to take it to a shop because these shops around here want $65 just to look at it with no guarantees.