Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

05 Cavalier Governor... Might remove, need advice. Also, replacement speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2009, 1:00 PM
Ride of the Month
April 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 Cavalier Governor... Might remove, need advice. Also, replacement speedometer?

From what I understand, the governor is a part of the Engine Control Module so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I don't necessarily want to use an inline switch between the transmission and the ECM, because I don't want to lose track of mileage (and commit fraud)... but I'd love to know if anyone knows of a way to remove the governor and perhaps replace the instrument cluster with a speedometer that registers more than 110mph?

I'm asking this questions specifically because I want to go race the 1/4 Mile at the local Drag Strip but I don't want to be hindered or get incorrect results on my time/speed based on the fact that my governor kicks in at 110mph.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2009, 1:21 PM
Ride of the Month
April 2009

well, given the fact that you know every single thing that i've done to my car... oh wait, that's right... you don't. my governor kicked in before i hit a 1/4 mile in a race where i smoked an RX-8 recently. unless you wanna give some helpful advice, don't bother replying.

i am looking into a cluster conversion for the cav that takes it up to 140mph but... i'm not sure how just replacing the instrument cluster with one that reads up to 140mph is going to eliminate the governor. kinda doubt it actually. found it here: http://www.blackcatcustom.com/Cavalier.htm
Old April 18th, 2009, 2:13 PM
Ride of the Month
April 2009

oh my lord. i'm not going to post everything i've done. go look at the ROTM section if you want that. and that doesn't actually include EVERYTHING i've done to the engine. not to mention what i plan to do.

i'm not here to brag NOR argue. i am hoping to get this car to the point where exceeding 110mph in a 1/4 mile is a joke. i'm planning on upgrading the suspension and various engine mods... none of which pertain to the question at hand.

which again, is simply about replacing the instrument cluster so that i can see how fast i'm going once i exceed 110mph. is that too much to ask without catching smartass responses?

as for your latest suggestion-- i figured this post was placed most appropriately in this, the "Engine & Internal" section. i'm questioning the removal of a governor, as its integrated into the ECM. if this needs to be moved, fine. logic told me to post here.

Last edited by tjstockton; April 18th, 2009 at 2:47 PM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have a 05 cav as well what do i do.

I have a 05 cav as well and it hits 105mph and shuts off. how can i fix this issue??
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way you can remove the ECM integrated speed limiter is to buy a programmer or chip that will do this for you.
Old August 28th, 2009, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

I just thought I'd throw this in there... http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-8469.html

Last edited by binzer; August 28th, 2009 at 8:06 PM. Reason: N/A