Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

05 sunfire 2.2 L engine knocking noise...

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2016, 9:37 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sunfire 2.2 L engine knocking noise...

Well, this is my first post here...might as well get to the point, step son ignored warnings about checking his engine oil in his 2.2 l chevy engine, that i beleive is the same engine in the sunfire...well after hearing a ticking noise from the engine...he rushed in for an oil change....a little late to say...:/ now the noise from the top end of the engine is worse. Being a Millwright in a plastics plant I'm good with mechanics, but never openened an auto engine..done engine swaps before. But this is new territory for me, just hoping for some good advice where to start...hoping just lifters, or something in the upper end?
Old June 14th, 2016, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my engine in my car due to oil problems. The first thing you should do is pull the valve cover off. It is fairly simple to do but you will have to pull the coil pack off the top first since there are some bolts you have to get at under there. Watch a Youtube video for valve cover removal if you have troubles.

When you get in there, there are several things you should look for. It could be anything from worn cams (lobes are rounded more than other ones) to a stuck valve (a large gap when the valve is closed). On mine the cam seized at one end and spun the cam gear on the exhaust side. It wasn't getting enough oil to that end which caused the problem. You can turn the engine over by using a ratchet on the crankshaft bolt and look for anything abnormal or you can turn it over with the starter and listen for where the ticking is coming from.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to open it up to take a look at it, and remember it is going to be a lot cheaper to open it yourself than it is to take it to a shop. Good luck and keep us updated on your findings and progress.