Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Cavalier
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1996 cavalier theft light on no start

1996 cavalier theft light is on not flashing but stays on. Car will not start have already changed fuel pump because the pump did not run when key was turned on. We did not notice the anti theft light being on. New pump does not run either. Have left key on for up to half hour light will not go out or blink. Any ideas or help thanks
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:31 AM
CF Beginner

Have you checked all your fuses and relays? Maybe unhook your battery overnight and see if it resets the anti theft device.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghollow View Post
1996 cavalier theft light is on not flashing but stays on. Car will not start have already changed fuel pump because the pump did not run when key was turned on. We did not notice the anti theft light being on. New pump does not run either. Have left key on for up to half hour light will not go out or blink. Any ideas or help thanks
think i may be having the same problem on my 99 z24. theft light on and no power to the fuel pump, or the fuel pump relay. just one thing i have that you may have left out. when you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light stay on like it should? mine doesnt. if you found your problem, could you let me know what it was.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1996 cavalier theft light O.o

I replaced my illuminator I believe thats what its called...It shows the temp speed rpm gas levels. Well i replaced mines because i wanted 1 with rpms once i replaced it my theft light came on currently i have the battery unhooked and when i get home from work ill hook it back up but im pretty sure it will still be there O.o how do i get that stupid theft light off so i can drive again >_<
Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
CF Addict

not anymore Kevin Koloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by todds96cav View Post
Have you checked all your fuses and relays? Maybe unhook your battery overnight and see if it resets the anti theft device.
Yes. If the anti-theft fuse is open, blown, it will not start. The fuel pump won't come on with anti-theft on. What has changed? You might try turn on the key switch for about 10 minutes, then off, then try to start it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreyon View Post
I replaced my illuminator I believe thats what its called...It shows the temp speed rpm gas levels. Well i replaced mines because i wanted 1 with rpms once i replaced it my theft light came on currently i have the battery unhooked and when i get home from work ill hook it back up but im pretty sure it will still be there O.o how do i get that stupid theft light off so i can drive again >_<
I believe you mean your instrument cluster.
Take a look at this link for instructions as to how to get your theft system to relearn...

FAQ - j-body.org - the jbody organization
at the worst possible moment!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Tags
1995, 1996, 2000, 96, blink, blinking, cavalier, doesnt, forum, forums, fuse, light, start, starts, theft