Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Cavalier
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
Default 1996 cavalier theft light on no start

1996 cavalier theft light is on not flashing but stays on. Car will not start have already changed fuel pump because the pump did not run when key was turned on. We did not notice the anti theft light being on. New pump does not run either. Have left key on for up to half hour light will not go out or blink. Any ideas or help thanks
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2010, 01:31 AM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Have you checked all your fuses and relays? Maybe unhook your battery overnight and see if it resets the anti theft device.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM
vortec02's Avatar
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: syracuse, NY
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghollow View Post
1996 cavalier theft light is on not flashing but stays on. Car will not start have already changed fuel pump because the pump did not run when key was turned on. We did not notice the anti theft light being on. New pump does not run either. Have left key on for up to half hour light will not go out or blink. Any ideas or help thanks
think i may be having the same problem on my 99 z24. theft light on and no power to the fuel pump, or the fuel pump relay. just one thing i have that you may have left out. when you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light stay on like it should? mine doesnt. if you found your problem, could you let me know what it was.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Default 1996 cavalier theft light O.o

I replaced my illuminator I believe thats what its called...It shows the temp speed rpm gas levels. Well i replaced mines because i wanted 1 with rpms once i replaced it my theft light came on currently i have the battery unhooked and when i get home from work ill hook it back up but im pretty sure it will still be there O.o how do i get that stupid theft light off so i can drive again >_<
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
kevinkpk's Avatar
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,652
not anymore Kevin Koloff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by todds96cav View Post
Have you checked all your fuses and relays? Maybe unhook your battery overnight and see if it resets the anti theft device.
Yes. If the anti-theft fuse is open, blown, it will not start. The fuel pump won't come on with anti-theft on. What has changed? You might try turn on the key switch for about 10 minutes, then off, then try to start it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
binzer's Avatar
CF Beginner
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreyon View Post
I replaced my illuminator I believe thats what its called...It shows the temp speed rpm gas levels. Well i replaced mines because i wanted 1 with rpms once i replaced it my theft light came on currently i have the battery unhooked and when i get home from work ill hook it back up but im pretty sure it will still be there O.o how do i get that stupid theft light off so i can drive again >_<
I believe you mean your instrument cluster.
Take a look at this link for instructions as to how to get your theft system to relearn...

FAQ - j-body.org - the jbody organization
__________________
Nothing is as easy as it looks...
Everything takes longer than you expect...
And if anything can go wrong, it will...
at the worst possible moment!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1995, 1996, 2000, 96, blink, blinking, cavalier, doesnt, forum, forums, fuse, light, start, starts, theft


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Join Chevroletforum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.

Emails Backup