Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1996 Cavalier Z24 Sputters/Rough

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1996 Cavalier Z24 Sputters/Rough

So I own a 1996 Chevy Cavalier Z24, here's the problem it seems to idle low and when I give it gas it sputters and hesitates. The guy I bought it from said he put a cool air intake from a Honda on it. There is a vacuum line towards the front of the engine that isn't connected to anything. I'm a rookie when it comes to vehicles, but have some knowledge. I have read a few forums and they talk about the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve or a possible vacuum leak/bad hose. So I need to know where to begin, what to check, and any tips that would help resolve this problem. I still need to get to work and back. I also have a Haynes manual I've been flipping through. I have not yet checked the spark plugs yet. Any help or pics are greatly appreciated. I can send pics if that helps. thanks.
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

A bad sparkplug would maybe cause the hesitation. Also so could a clogged Fuel injector. Your IAC will smooth out your idle if cleaned. If you can't find it, it'll be near your throttle body and air intake, somewhere in between. Has a Electrical connector in it. Should come off with 2 screws. Clean it with carb cleaner. Clean your MAF sensor (in your intake hose or near end of it.) Find out where that hose goes and clamp it into place, that will always cause i rough idle. Post pics up in your garage.
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

I will give this a try in the morning. I also recorded a video I'm going to try n post up on YouTube or something with pics. Any idea if that vacuum line from the air intake that isn't connect could cause that? Thanks much n will get the pics ASAP.
Old October 9th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Well, if its a hose it obviously goes somewhere but just a connector line, probably not. Start the car and put your hand on it, see if there is a sucking or a blowing. If so, its most likely important, if not, not a big deal.
Old October 10th, 2011, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

ok so i took a few pictures and tried a few things, but due to crappy rainy weather here i haven't done much of what u recommended.

Name:  IMAG0113.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  119.2 KBThe Car

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  105.4 KB The Reconnected wire and the one idk what goes to.
Old October 10th, 2011, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

and by the way i started the car and checked that vacuum hose that is disconnected and it seems to suck air slightly when u give it gas.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

My Cavi 2.2 did the same thing (sputtering, Idling low) and it was the coil packs going bad. I replaced them with $30 ones from a pull-n-save ad it worked fine.
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Look up and to the left. There is what looks like a tiny little hose that is just sitting there open looking for a friend.. its right over by where what looks to be the antifreeze.. It could be the coil packs but make sure all your vacumm likes are shut and sealed before buying anything.
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Oh and nice Cavalier by the way! My friend is looking for one, how much did you grab that one for?
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Sweet ill check it out it seems to be running a bit better since reconnecting the one line. What should I look for to see if the coils are still good? And thanks bud I got this car as a trade. I traded my s10 for it which was a great deal since the flywheel was trashed n had to compression start it each time, n the cat plugged up n blew up my muffler. The only down fall to this ride was how dark the tint was, it was a b*tch to get off. Damn Oregon laws. My gf put that scratch on the front by side swiping that Honda in the pic. Lol my bad for rambling.