Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1997 Cavalier Z24 2.4 cranks but no start...Wtf

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2014, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Cavalier Z24 2.4 cranks but no start...Wtf

I have my lady in red Z24 I bought a few years ago. So what happened was I was driving around town, stopped for gas. As I was cleaning windows, checking oil and such I noticed the positive battery cable was loose. No big deals, snugged it up. After I was done fueling and cleaning windows I got in and it would crank but no start. I replaced the CKP sensor a while before this happened. Had to wait for 6 hours for a tow truck. It was a saturday night and here in fairbanks they catch alot of DUIs on saturday night. I tried to do the relearn procedure many many times, but the security light remains on constantly. This happened about two years ago. I checked the wires going to the pcm and they are all in tact. After doing research I learned this is a pretty common problem for Jbodys. But I have yet to find an answer. I did purchase a PLJX bypass module but am confused as to which of the wires I need to connect it to, also part of the module is you have to have the correct idle for it to work, which would be nice, if the *&*#$ would start. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Also, Idk if it matters or not but I installed an aftermarket stereo with 2 15 inch eclipse subs, powered by 2500 watt amp. Please please please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
Old June 1st, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on issues

So my friends dad has been an auto mechanic for years, they stopped by on Friday and had a look at my z24. Concluded that the timing chain is bad. I have the timing set and head gasket set, water pump and thermostat. Was going to do all of that after I had her running. However my friend has offered to buy the car from me as is.