Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Cavalier brakes sticking?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cavalier brakes sticking?

Hey there,

In the recent cold winter months I've noticed some problems with what appears to be my brakes. The first few times the brakes are applied after the car has been started are applied very forcefully and quick despite how lightly I hit the brake. This causes the car to stop very suddenly and often triggers the anti-locks, even if I'm only going 20 mph. Someone suggested that it could be a caliper sticking but I'm unsure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old February 15th, 2010, 4:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds exactly like what happens when you have water on the brake rotors or in the drum. I think it could also be caused by water freezing in the master cylinder. Your brake fluid should absorb moisture though...
What is the climate like in your area?

I would say that a good place to start is to bleed the lines thoroughly in a warm shop.
Old February 15th, 2010, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold. Cold cold cold. Often gets below zero, snows a lot and is very dry. This didn't happen when I was living down near Philly when it was much warmer. That's something to look in to.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rotors might be glazed and when they become glazed the pads become "grabby" so to speak. my dads van used to be like that. i've dealt with a few cars like that also. after you let off the brake does it still feel like the caliper is stuck compressed. check your pads for wear patterns if one pad is worn more than the other ie inside thin and outside think or vice versa could be sticky pins or might need a caliper rebuild. good luck