Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Cavalier - Dash Lights and Gauge Issues

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cavalier - Dash Lights and Gauge Issues

So I have '98 Cavalier and it runs great. Recently I was driving home from work when out of nowhere all of my warning lights came on and the temperature gauge dropped to zero and the tachometer dropped to zero. The only gauge that didn't stop working was the speedometer. As I'm driving the gauges will come back and most of the lights will shut off, but they turn off and on through the whole ride. Hoping someone has had this problem before and this isn't a sign of something worse to come.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

That is usually a sign of loose connections. Check the connections for looseness and corrosion. i have seen the plugs that connect the wires make bad contact many times.
Old February 26th, 2016, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You, oldchevy
It took me a while to get back to this car, but after just a quick check I found that my negative battery cable, that is grounded to the frame, had rusted off. Cleaned up a spot on the frame, reattached the cable and everything is back to normal.