Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Cavalier,, how to test anti-theft in ignition key

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cavalier,, how to test anti-theft in ignition key

Have a 1998 Z24 Cavalier. Turn the ignition key to start the motor and the starter doesn't turn over. How do you test the ignition system to make sure the key lock anti-theft is bad? A new switch (delco D1475D) is $218, or BWD switch is $207, and I hate to spend the money without knowing I have a bad switch. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS: Forgot to mention that I pulled the park/neutral safety switch and jumped the the positive feed to the starter and it does turn over, but the motor will not start. The anti-theft light on the dash stays lite all the time.

PSS: Found this today -

Passlock
This system allows starter operation, then kills the injectors 1-2 seconds after startup. This is a “Hall-Effect” system. The key cylinder housing has a small magnet that rotates past the Passlock sensor. The sensor is powered and detects the rotation. The voltage on the sensor then drops to a specified value (there are 10 different values). There’s no pellet in the key. So basically this system is checking to see that a thief has not popped the lock cylinder to steal the vehicle. you have to perform a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearn procedure (need a programming scan tool). The Passlock system was used on:
Buick
Skylark 96-98
Chevrolet
Cavalier 95-on
Impala 2000-on
Malibu 97-on
Monte Carlo 2000-on
Oldsmobile
Achieva 96-on
Cutlass 97-on
Intrigue 98-on

Passlock
Testing this system is similar to the Passkey I and II systems. You want to check the voltage at the bottom of the steering column as you insert the key and rotate it check the yellow signal wire (should be 5 volts before you start the testing). Turn the key.
The value should drop. If it does not, you will have to replace the key cylinder. The “control module” for this system is built into the instrument panel control (IPC) in early years. In later years, the system is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM), the Electronically Controlled Orifice-steering Assist (EVO), IPC and other systems. If you have to replace the lock cylinder or any of the control modules,

Last edited by bassally; October 6th, 2010 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Share info I found